Knocking Noise

jobeck1

Premium Member
I have a Sears Kenmore 18,500 btu through the wall air conditioner. It has started to make a "knocking" noise when the compressor turns off. It is the same every time. It will make 3 or 4 knocking sounds then 2 and finally none. This happens immediately after the compressor shuts off and the fan is still spinning. It is loud enough that it wakes me up in the middle of the night. The unit still works very well, I just get the knocking noise.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Bad/broken compressor spring it sounds like. How old is it?

Jake

jobeck1

Premium Member
4 or 5 years old. It started making the noise last year, but I ignored it hoping it would go away, lol. Is it a hard thing to replace the spring? Is it a problem if I don't?

Thank for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
There is no way to replace the spring, the compressor will have to be changed. Check your owners manual, most compressor on A/C's have a 5 yr. full part and labor warranty. Sears will come out and install a new compressor for free.

Jake

jobeck1

Premium Member
Just one last question. What will happen if I don't get it repaired, due to warranty expiration? Is it a dangerous condition? The unit still cools really well.

Thanks again

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It will still be fine to use like that, if you can take the noise.:)

It will eventually go bad altogether, but I have seen these run from 6 months to 3 yrs. like this.

Jake