• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KODE507ESS02 oven does not maintain temperature

dog_zebra

Premium Member
Model Number
KODE507ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
Upper oven of our double oven now 15 months old has never baked right and unfortunately didn't get to measuring temps until now. Preheats just fine to correct temperature, and will maintain that heat with nothing in oven.

When baking, oven loses heat in latest test from 350 down to about 315. The fan comes on but temp never gets above 325. Oven sensor has been replaced. If, after the oven loses heat, I stop and start the oven it knows it is low and preheats back up to 350.

Lower oven seems to have the same issue, but not as severe. I have yet to test at other temperatures to see if the drop is consistent - if so, I suppose i could use calibration to fix. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
Please give us the complete Model number! Found this Service Pointer!!
Under certain circumstances oven temperatures may not reach desired temperatures
Potential Cause(s):
• Using Aluminum Foil on the cavity bottom and or covering the oven rack completely
• Is there proper air circulation around bakeware? See “Rack and Bakeware Positions” section of the Use & Care.
• Oven Calibration set incorrectly. On double ovens, the upper oven and the lower oven can each be calibrated independently. See “Oven Temperature Control” section of the Use & Care.
Correction:
• Verify Aluminum foil is not being used
• Verify rack positions, and adequate spacing between bakeware
• Order and install a new Oven Sensor Kit (Kit will include a new oven sensor,
Control Board and Instruction Sheet). See Chart Below

Attachments

• W10883103C-KAVBLPerformance.pdf
    453.4 KB · Views: 138

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

dog_zebra: You're missing a couple digits after the final "S" in your model number.

Here's the results I get:
KODE507ESS00
KODE507ESS01
KODE507ESS02
KODE507ESS04

Click here: Appliance Parts

Then you will see a link that says: How to find a model number.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks,

Here's the parts diagram for your model: KitchenAid Range KODE507ESS02 Repair Parts

I'd do this: --->Oven Calibration set incorrectly. On double ovens, the upper oven and the lower oven can each be calibrated independently.

--->See “Oven Temperature Control” section of the Use & Care.

It gives you a offset of +/- 30 degrees each way. Set it higher by 10 degrees and see how it does.

Jake

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How to check oven temperature HERE! Pointer below! Oven Bake Temperature Testing
• An inferred temperature tester must not be used for oven temperature calibration.
• The oven temperature needs to be tested with a High Temperature Tester that has a weighted or clip-on thermocouple.
• The thermocouple needs to be place in the center of the middle rack.
• The tech should allow the oven to preheat and the control to cycle the elements on three times before the temperature is recorded.
• The actual oven temperature is the average of the high and low temperatures; a difference of up to 50 degrees between the high and low is normal.
• Set the oven at 350 degrees and record the high and low temperature points for 3 cycles.
• Add these 6 temperatures up and divide by 6. This will give you the average temperature of the oven.
375 + 325 + 360 + 330 + 370 + 330 = 348 OR 2090 ÷ 6 = 348 6
• If the oven temperature is off within 35 degrees follow the temperature calibration procedure that is located in the Use and Care Guide or Tech Sheet to change the control off set.

Attachments

• instructionsheet-w10915233-reva.pdf
    229.2 KB · Views: 113
  • How to Check Oven Temperature -W10565140.pdf
    637.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

dog_zebra

Premium Member
Thanks for all your help! The 'check for aluminum foil' was the solution. Although not aluminum foil black liner was in the top oven on the lowest rack to try to catch some of the mess. Removing that did the trick!