• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFC300ESS KitchenAid Refrigerator - tool for door handles

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC300ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
What tool do I need ? Can't tell by looking if it's hex key or torx, and don't want to damage.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your owners manual below.

It looks like its a hex key.

Page 8 says setscrew, and Page 9 says hex key.

Keep us posted.

Jake

Attachments

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
Thanks, yeah I have that manual, and actually on p.6 it explicitly says to use a 3/32" hex key on the door handle set screws. Should looked there first, my bad. Man, they are all very LOOSE; maybe I'll use some non-permanent thread-locker goo.

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
One of my hex keys (can't decipher any markings) worked like a charm on the door handles - it measures about 93 mils (across the flats) so I assume it is 3/32"

But it's too big to fit into the set screws on the freezer drawer handle. The next smaller one I have measures about 76 mils, and it is too small. I guess it's 5/64". What comes in between 3/32" and 5/64" ? They expect me to find a 11/128" (86 mils) hex key if it even exists ?!?

No metric size seems right either. Maybe it's a torx ? Too small to see clearly.

Alternatively, I could try to remove them with an easy-out, and replace with ones that use the 3/32" hex key (assuming that's readily findable in the parts drawers at the hardware store.

RANT MODE: This is truly exasperating. After this other experience where I had to fix it myself:

If I were not a mechanically-inclined person, I'd have a 3-year old refrigerator with the door handles falling off and buzzing as loud as an old-fashioned alarm clock whenever the compressor comes on.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I forgot the exact size of it Rusty, it's been more than 10 years since I replaced a handle on this model.

Jake

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
I forgot the exact size of it Rusty, it's been more than 10 years since I replaced a handle on this model.
Thanks for trying, Jake. I honestly don't believe there is a right size. With hex keys, 5/16" was too small and the 3/32" was too big. Borrowed neighbor's set of tiny metric hex keys, and again, one was too small and the other too big and nothing in between.

So either it's T7 or T8 torx (which I don't have), or it's messed up somehow.

I'm just about to take 'em out with an easy-out and try to buy replacements at the hardware store, assuming the thread sizes aren't something strange and then I might be screwed.

RustyShackleford

Premium Member
I'm just about to take 'em out with an easy-out and try to buy replacements at the hardware store, assuming the thread sizes aren't something strange ...
Yep, managed to pull 'em out by jamming in some random bit I had lying around, and bought replacements at the hardware store (3/8" long, 10-32 thread, stainless steel, 3/32" hex key same as the ones on the door handles). Problem solved.

Best theory is some dope at the appliance store tried to tighten 'em with the wrong size tool, and managed to round 'em out (while also managing to not really get 'em tight). Could've happened at the factory too, I suppose; wouldn't surprise me, with the build quality I've seen.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Best theory is some dope at the appliance store tried to tighten 'em with the wrong size tool, and managed to round 'em out (while also managing to not really get 'em tight). Could've happened at the factory too, I suppose;
I agree with you 110% on that.:)

Good job Rusty, glad you did it. (y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You bet!

Jake