• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFC302ESS Freezer Not Defrosting / Fridge Getting Warm

dealguru

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC302ESS
Brand
KitchenAid
Looking for some assistance, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

As indicated in the title I have a KRFC302ESS KitchenAid fridge that was purchased just over 3 years ago. Up until this last week everything has been working fine.

Issue started when the digital temp reading for the fridge stated 52F and freezer was -10F. Looked in the freezer and back wall/panel was covered in frost / icy buildup. Pulled power and cleared off all the frost, let it sit for a while to melt the ice. Plugged it back in and temps went back to normal (Freezer 0 and fridge 38)

Next day freezer was back to -10 and fridge was 38. Found the tech sheet under the top right hinge. Attempted 'Forced Defrost Mode'. Controls showed Fd and Sh flashing as they were supposed to. I left it for the day, but nothing changed.

The following day I took apart the freezer and removed the back panel, entire coil is covered in ice and not defrosting. Again, attempted manual defrost following tech sheet, checked several hours later, no change.

Removed power and melted ice from the coil. Next day coil was again starting to freeze. Freezer temp -6, fridge 38.

I checked the defrost heater with a multimeter, showed 28.8 ohm. I checked the circuit to the bi-metal defrost thermostat, when cold it was 0.6 ohms. From what I've read (and I'm no expert) those values should be OK. Watched a repair video on youtube about same issue I'm having, except that when they initiated the forced defrost it actually worked and they stated the control board was the issue. But because mine isn't defrosting I'm not sure if it's the control board or something else...

Can anyone point me in the correct direction to take, I'm kind of spinning my wheels as to where to go or what to replace.

Thank you for any help that anyone can provide.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, we use process of elimination to determine the bad part.

If the defrost heater and defrost thermostat both ohm test good, then it can only be the main control board that's the culprit.

Here's the main control board for your model: WPW10120827 Electronic Control Board

Jake

dealguru

Premium Member
Much appreciated. I was leaning towards the control board, but always nice when someone else suggests it as well.

I've ordered one, we'll see how it goes once it's replaced.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.

Jake