• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFC704FPS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator ice dispenser clicking and not dispensing ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

heelside10

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FPS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Recently had trouble with the ice maker releasing sheets of ice because too much water was collecting in the tray. Replaced the ice maker and now the cubes are perfect. However, now when we place a cup in the dispenser area, the motor turns on but instead of ice coming out of the shoot, it runs and clicks like it is stripped out and no ice is dispensing. Initial though was the larger pieces of ice that were jamming up the ice bucket prior to the ice maker being replaced may have damaged the auger or the piece that turns inside the ice bucket. Any ideas on what could be causing the clicking and if replacement parts are needed? I can upload pics if any are needed.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Let the new ice maker full the ice bucket completely up, then try it.

Replacing the ice maker should not of caused this issue to pop up, if it wasn't present before with the old ice maker.

Jake

heelside10

Premium Member
Thanks for the reply. I've gone through two full buckets now and it's still clicking with no ice dispensing. It actually started when the original ice maker started making the larger pieces of ice that stuck together. We also had a lot of frozen build up at the bottom of the ice bucket from the defective ice maker so I'm sure it froze up the auger.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you remove all the ice from the ice bucket and flush the bucket out with warm water?

If so, remove the ice bucket and see if its still clicking when you press the ice dispenser lever.

If it works properly without ice in it you need to replace the motor:
Auger Motor W10822606

Jake

heelside10

Premium Member
Yes, the bucket was flushed with warm water and I dried it out as much as possible to avoid any remaining water freezing when I put it back in.

When I take the bucket out and put a cup in the dispenser, it beeps and doesn't activate the auger. I'm thinking this is a normal feature for this fridge. When you remove the bucket, it won't turn. Doesn't matter if the parts are faulty or not. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my guess.

When I take all of the ice out of the bucket, the "lever" (grey piece in the ice bucket in the attached photo) moves freely and doesn't click. The second I put any ice into the bucket and try to dispense it, the lever stops rotating and it starts clicking again.

Thanks again Jake! Really appreciate all the help with this. If you have a Venmo or Paypal, I'd definitely throw something your way for the help.

Attachments

• 20220113_161639.jpg
    20220113_161639.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 39

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then it sounds like the auger motor is clicking under a load.

There is a Paypal Donate button at the very bottom of the page.

Jake

heelside10

Premium Member
Update.... replaced the auger motor but I'm still getting the same issue. I took a video of the auger in the bucket with ice and without and tried to upload but was unsuccessful. While it was running with ice it was obviously stripped out. Stays in the same spot and bounces about a half inch back and forth. Doesn't rotate in a circle like it should. At this point, I just can't figure out which part is the issue. The likely part would be the ice bucket and actual auger, right? Specifically the female end that the auger motor connects to? Also noticed two of the tabs that support the handle at the bottom of the ice bucket were broken off. Not sure if this is relevant but thought I'd include some photos and circled them.

Attachments

• 20220127_114808.jpg
    20220127_114808.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220127_114939.jpg
    20220127_114939.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Bucket tab 2.jpg
    Bucket tab 2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Bucket tab.jpg
    Bucket tab.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 37

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

heelside10

Premium Member
Yes, replaced the ice bucket and we finally have a properly functioning ice dispenser again. Something with the auger must have been stripped out. I looked through it and compared it to the new part but didn't see anything different. Thanks again for your help!!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent @heelside10 glad to hear the new ice bucket assembly fixed it.(y)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.