• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFC704FPS01 complete no cool, motherboard replaced, compressor not coming on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FPS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi everyone,

I am a first time poster, but have been lurking and reading for several weeks. Trying to (inexpensively) fix our fancy fridge. I can't seem to find much on Google or this forum specific to our issue...

Our new-to-us KRFC704FPS01 fridge suddenly quit working a couple weeks ago.

The back story is the fridge has been on our enclosed back porch for about a year, and working great as extra food storage except for an occasional time that there was frost buildup in the freezer drawer, but it's possible it wasn't shut all the way... It was plugged directly into the outlet, no extension cord.

The compressor does not come on, and the motherboard doesn't show power going to the compressor. The KitchenAid tech guy recommended replacing the motherboard. We bought two, one new refurbished and one used but in working condition when shipped.

Before replacing the motherboard, when the fridge is first plugged in it makes a noise like the compressor is starting, but it doesn't do anything.

Both motherboards have been installed. Neither motherboards changed anything. Still no power to the compressor. Same initial noise, but nothing else.

Research tells us it might be the thermistor, but before we pull it completely apart can anyone shed light on this?

We have let it sit for 10+ mins after installing each motherboard, fan is running, everything underneath is clean, it's not in showroom mode, doesn't appear to be anything simple.

We are simple folks who own a fancy fridge but we are not willing to spend too much more to get this one working.

Thanks in advance for any guidance. I will check this thread regularly for responses.

P.S. if there is a reliable place online to pay for over the phone support I'm willing to go that route too.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
On the control board at connector P15 you have Pins 1 2 and 3 check for 115-120 volts AC between those pins.

Here's the GF2 control board for your model:

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below.

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W11190777 - REV A.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 56

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

That has been tested as you described and there is no power. Not on the original board, or the two subsequent boards.

That is the same board we replaced, twice.

Is there anything else to troubleshoot? It's hard to imagine the two replacement motherboards we purchased are bad...

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
In addition, is there any way to check the motherboard to make sure the old (or new) ones are working properly to make sure it's the fridge and not the motherboard?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, if you look on your tech. data sheet wiring diagram the only other part between the power cord and the control board is the EMI FILTER:

P1 Pins 1 and 2 should get 120 volts
P1 Pins 3 and 4 should get 120 volts

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
Jake,

The Orion board (second one you mentioned) is the one we have been replacing. It's the only one with P15. I didn't realize you were talking about the GF2 board in your original post and my apologies for that.

The GF2 board does not have a P15 to check.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The GF2 board does not have a P15 to check.
Yes I know.

On the GF2 board--->P1 Pins 1 and 2 should get 120 volts right to the control board.

If you're voltages are good, then I really don't know why the compressor is NOT firing up, this is a very "OUT OF THE NORM" problem, its best to Contact KitchenAid to come out at 800-422-1230 and the KitchenAid Tech. can call the FACTORY from your house to assist him/her in finding the problem.

Jake

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
It does have voltage.

We're going to order another Orion board, maybe the others are just bad. There's apparently no way to check them besides plugging them in and finding out...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if the voltages are present, then you must be getting bad boards, that's all it can be.

Where are you getting the board from?

Jake

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
The first two were off eBay. One refurbished, one used but tested. Both sellers had great reviews...

Have not decided on where to purchase the next one, if you have recommendations we would appreciate them. $577 from KitchenAid website is out of our budget. There's some others on eBay, our repair guy has his "own" 1-800 number for a refurbished board, and PartsDr.com has some at a reasonable price.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
Hi Jake, we just ordered the part off the website you linked. Fingers crossed this will fix the issue!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, the new board should fix it, that's all it can be since your voltages are good.

Jake

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
Fingers are crossed. We have maxed out our budget for fixing this fridge. We appreciate all your help and will update when we have installed the board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, I understand.

Yes, let us know.

Jake

Mountainandfog

Premium Member
The new board arrived yesterday and all is working as it should!

FedEx took forever to deliver, but the item itself was shipped very quickly.

5 stars all the way around. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.