• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFC704FSS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator Grab-bag of issues - In-door ice maker stopped working, then noticed that the fridge seems warm

mliz

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFC704FSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Started having trouble with 3-year old KitchenAid french door refrigerator about a month ago (Model KRFC704FSS00). In-door ice maker stopped working, then noticed that the fridge seems warm. Temp turned out to be hovering around 50. Freezer working fine. Pulled the fridge out of the cabinet surround and made sure that the vent was clear. Also checked the coils for dust by taking the back lower panel off. No significant findings. Also made sure that the freezer wasn't so full that it was blocking air-flow to the fridge.

Other symptoms include: ice/water display panel lights up and beeps every 30 minutes, Power Outage alarm is occasionally tripped. Each time, we reset it by pressing [any] control panel button twice, per the instruction manual. (Power has not gone out.)

Repair tech replaced board and fan to the tune of $500 and it's still not cooling, other symptoms persist. Still no ice. They're coming again next week but I don't want to keep randomly replacing parts hoping that something works. Any suggestions for diagnosing this are much appreciated.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Repair tech replaced board and fan
Check if the evaporator in the fresh food section is frosted over. What's the part number of the board he replaced?

mliz

Premium Member
The board was W11333076 (and the fan W11167902).
Can you direct me on resources for how I can check the evaporator? In the meantime, I will also try googling it. Thanks!

rickgburton

Staff member
Back of the fresh food compartment. Look for any frost on the cover.
Evap_001.jpg

mliz

Premium Member
I wasn't able to take apart the back wall of the fridge to see if there was frost, but I did unplug the fridge for 12 hours, hoping that if there was any it would melt and solve the problem. No luck at all. Problems persist (beeping ice/water panel every 30 minutes, warm fridge, no in-door ice, functional freezer.)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Repair tech replaced board and fan to the tune of $500 and it's still not cooling, other symptoms persist. Still no ice. They're coming again next week
Did the repair tech. come back yet?

You may have a sealed system issue with the 3-way valve that helps in the defrost of that coil.

But even a sealed system problem should not make the beeping dispenser display panel keep doing that.

Seems you may have more issues, its best to contact KitchenAid and ask to have the LEAD TECH come out to find the problem. Multiple problems are a nightmare to deal with.

Jake

mliz

Premium Member
They came this afternoon and they think it could be the compressor. They removed the fan and board that they had replaced and are refunding us for the parts, if not the labor. (Great company!) They referred us to a certified Kitchenaid service company in our area (the same that Kitchenaid referred me to this morning.) We have an appointment with that company for Friday. Fingers crossed! Thank you for your help!

Will update with the resolution once we have our fridge up and running again!

rickgburton

Staff member
Whirlpool has had a lot of problems with their linear compressor. Hopefully they use a better one.