FIXED KRFF302ESS01 Kitchenaid Refrigerator ice maker not ejecting cubes.

morrepe

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF302ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
OK. This is a tough one. Ice maker stopped making ice. I replaced the thermostat in the ice maker because the multimeter test suggested it was bad. Unit would then make ice but not eject. So, I bought and installed a new ice maker. Same problem, ice in the mold, but wouldn't eject. Freezer says it is 0 degree F.

I called a repairman. He installed a new new ice maker with the same result. I went to Ace to double check that the temp of the freezer was correct. The external thermo doesn't quite get to zero, but it says around 5 degrees F. So, now I've installed a new thermo in old ice maker and then two new ones and still can't get ice. I assume this means it's something to do with the freezer/fridge itself, but what?

Isn't the ice maker a standalone unit more or less? Ice maker is getting power because you can jump the circuit and get it to cycle. The repairman is stumped and even refunded me the money for the new ice maker. Thoughts? Suggestions?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What's the temperature of the freezer compartment? What's the temperature in the ice room? I need actual temperatures, not what the machine says the temperature is.

morrepe

Premium Member
What's the temperature of the freezer compartment? What's the temperature in the ice room? I need actual temperatures, not what the machine says the temperature is.
Thermometer I out in the empty ice bin reads 4 degrees. What else do you need?

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, 120 VAC across L and N on the power module and shorting T and H will start a harvest cycle and the ice room is at 4°F. Is that correct? If so, the problem is the ice maker. When it comes to those style ice makers getting a bad new one isn't as uncommon as you might think. Where did you get the first new ice maker? See if you can exchange it for a replacement.

I forgot to add this; At 4°F you'll have long wait times between harvest cycles. One way to check if it's just a slow ice maker is you should have at least one harvest cycle in 24 hours.

morrepe

Premium Member
Yes. That’s right. But getting two bad ones? One that I bought and one that repair guy provided? Ok. I’ll try again and try to get refund. Many thanks.

rickgburton

Staff member
As long as your information is correct that's the only thing it can be. That thermostat closes at 17°F.

morrepe

Premium Member
As long as your information is correct that's the only thing it can be. That thermostat closes at 17°F.
Just to follow up, it was not the ice maker. I had another repair guy come out and he said the door switch was not being pushed in far enough to do whatever it was supposed to do when the door was closed. When he pushed it in further, the ice machine cycled. He is off to get a new switch to install. Hopefully, that's mystery solved. Many thanks for your help.

rickgburton

Staff member
morrepe said:
Ice maker is getting power
So when you tested for power you held the switch in with your finger but the door didn't push the switch in all the way. I get that. Thanks for the update!

morrepe

Premium Member
So when you tested for power you held the switch in with your finger but the door didn't push the switch in all the way. I get that. Thanks for the update!
It was the first repair guy that did it, but yes, I suppose that's the case.