FIXED KRFF507ESS00 Defrosting issue

go-rebels

Premium Member
Temperature has crept up to 45F and frost is growing out the lower vent. I now need to disassemble and move the defrost sensor. The software change alone is not a permanent fix.

go-rebels

Premium Member
The situation... note that the thermistor was in the correct location. This was after 30 minutes defrosting the outer case and some time heating the coils directly. Notice that the entire top of the evaporator was covered with ice preventing any airflow over the coils. My previous defrost attempt to melt the ice with the plastic cover in place was entirely ineffective.

go-rebels

Premium Member
Note that to take off the plastic evaporator cover you MUST remove the vertical air vent that runs to the top of the frig, and to that you MUST remove the plastic ceiling. That is described here:

Don’t be afraid to pull down hard to separate the snaps.

The small water filter electrical connector is particularly difficult to separate. I needed an extra pair of hands to hold the ceiling while I pried the miniature connector lock with the tip of a pointy knife while pulling the connector apart.

The vertical air vent is snapped into the rear of the frig with 3 pairs of clips that are easily separated. Then, with the ceiling removed you’ll need to pull the left upper corner free that is slightly trapped by the ice maker housing. Once the left upper portion of the vertical air guide is free then everything comes apart easily.

20hr later my frig is at 36F and my ice maker is filled. I checked the programming and the defrost mode remains at the basic 8hr setting (not "ADC".)

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Not so fast.:)

Go-rebels we need the last two digits of your model number, that is extremely important for this problem.

KRFF507EWH00 or KRFF507EWH01?

Which is it?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

go-rebels

Premium Member
The fan motor was running most of the time I was manually defrosting the coil. No problem there. And the frig cooled quickly after I put things back together.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That fan should be running ALL the time, that's the only part that will defrost the coil, there is no defrost heater for the refrigerator side evaporator.

Jake

go-rebels

Premium Member
Correction: while I was defrosting the coils, the fan was running all the time. Obviously I don't know if the fan runs all the time.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Right, so when you notice that fan motor NOT running and the coils are frosted over like in your photos in post #62 you will need to check to see if your getting any voltage to the fan motor, if so and its not running, then replace it.

Jake