• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFF507ESS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator - stopped making ice AGAIN

schla

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF507ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
ok so the previous thread was closed as I said the ice maker started working again after i cleaned out all the buildup in the back of the freezer. that was back a week ago and now the ice maker has stopped making ice again. so I guess my next step ins to replace the ice maker in the fridge? It just does not seen to make sense as to why it started working again and then stopped.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, in my post #3 here:
Order and replace the ice maker and that should fix it.:)

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's a good question, but I really don't know, some inside the ice maker is malfunctioning and causing it to not work, then work.

Jake

schla

Premium Member
ok so I have NOT had a chance to fix the icemaker.

Now the freezer fan is back to making the old clicking/humming sound it was making prior to when I disassembled the freezer a month ago and cleared all the frost out of it (prior thread now closed). so I presume the frost has returned in the back of the freezer box and is impacting the fan once again.

It seems there is something else wrong with our fridge.

I have noticed the compressor has a different pitch "humming" sound to it since all of this started several months ago when the ice maker first stopped working.

Is this indicative of a more serious problem with the compressor? or something else wrong? it was previously pointed out that the freezer seemed a bit warmer than it normally should be

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, you may have a sealed system problem then.

Contact KitchenAid to come out to verify that at 1-800-422-1230

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions.

Check your owners manual warranty, you may have a 5 year sealed system warranty.

If no warranty: Sealed system repair costs vary from state to state. The average price for a sealed system repair is between $500 and $900.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That would explain why the ice maker keeps starting and stopping, it has to be at least 16 degrees or lower at all times for the ice maker to continue to run.

Are your condenser coils underneath the refrigerator clean?

A clogged condenser coil and CAN overheat the compressor and cause this as well.

Also make sure the condenser fan is running, its mounted next to the compressor in the back of the refrigerator.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just open the freezer door, then pull that kickplate grill off, PULL HARD it just unsnaps.

You can use a vacuum cleaner attachment or condenser brush to clean your condenser. Even better would be if you have an air compressor or shop vac to blow the condenser coils out, yes its a bit more messy on your kitchen floor, but it cleans it thoroughly.:)

Refrigerator Condenser Cleaning Brush

Vacuum Hose Attachment 8171579A

Jake

schla

Premium Member
condenser coils weren't really dirty. cleaning them anyway. harder to get those rear ones so I will just blow them out with compressed air as suggested and deal with the fallout from the wife ;-)

could it be the compressor is damaged due to overheating? I took the back panel off and it wasn't terribly dirty back there either, the fan is blowing and the compressor is warm to the touch. there is a bit of residue on the pan next to the compressor like something leaked from the freezer? looks like grease. I know the fridge did get pushed all the way to the wall at one point and I moved it out from the wall but that was quite some time ago, so i wonder if this thing is damaged somehow. how durable is this system?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No, your compressor didn't get damaged from overheating, because your condenser coils are too clean for that.:)

That stuff leaking is it gully and soft to the touch?

Jake

schla

Premium Member
not sure what "gully" is, but yes it is soft to the touch and like a paste. did you mean goo like? no its almost like bacon grease, that's why I thought maybe it was from a spill in the fridge. I appeared as though it came from that copper line with the white foam wrapped around it going vertical in the first and second pictures above. I took the freezer apart just like I did in the other thread and I see the same buildup of frost in the back. I am not defrosting it again and going to put it back together, but still confused as to why this keep happening. I make certain the freezer door is always closed and the freezer drawers are not overfilled as has occasionally occurred in the past

Attachments

Last edited:

schla

Premium Member
photo of after I cleaned it up. recall I did all this in the april 28th thread with the same title. after I was done, ice maker started working again and the clicking sound stopped (the freezer fan no longer hitting ice!) but the compressor "humm" was a different pitch (sounded different) as though there still was something else wrong. I am guessing after I am done here I will report the same results and be back here in a month still trying to figure out what is up lol

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, that's much better of a view of your evaporator coil. That looks like a defrost problem. But is that freezer fan running at all times while the compressor is running?

Its possibly the defrost thermostat, which I just located, it comes with the evaporator fan motor. The defrost thermostat is the black circular part that clips to the top of your evaporator coil.

The way to test the defrost thermostat is to unplug the refrigerator from the wall outlet, then pull that plastic electrical connector out that it goes to, it unsnaps, then use your multimeter and set it on 200 ohms and ohm test the defrost thermostat WHILE ITS FROSTY, if it's not frosty you will not get a proper reading. If your meter doesn't change numbers while your ohm testing it, then its bad. It should read 0 ohms WHILE FROSTY.:)

The wires you will need to ohm test from that electrical connector are the orange and brown ones.

Here's the defrost thermostat and evaporator fan motor for your model:
W11032800 Motor-Evap

Jake

schla

Premium Member
last night I could hear the freezer fan running since it was so loud. it seemed like it was running constantly and occasionally it would shut off for a few minutes then come back on again. just to be clear, the defrost thermostat is in the back of the fridge or inside the freezer? if in the back is it the thing in this pick with all the yellow "goop" that dripped on it (first picture)? or its in the upper right rear of the freezer wrapped around the copper line (second picture)? not sure I can do this check now that the freezer has been "defrosted?"

thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
the defrost thermostat is in the back of the fridge or inside the freezer?
In your freezer--->See the black circular part in the 2nd photo? clipped to the top of your evaporator coil with the brown and orange wires going to it? That's the defrost thermostat.

Jake

schla

Premium Member
yeah figured that out after i posted. can I check it as long as the freezer is cold or does it have to be full of frost? (I may have to wait a month for that frost to build up again...lol)

thanks again