• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFF507ESS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator - stopped making ice AGAIN

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the defrost thermostat is not frosty, you can still test it in a cup of ice water, watch the video below. You'd need to keep the defrost thermostat in the cup of ice water at least 5 minutes before ohm testing it.

Watch this video to ohm test your defrost thermostat if yours is NOT frosty:

Jake

schla

Premium Member
Thanks for leaving the thread open....and apologies for this taking so long...

TAKE 3

so I have had a working ice maker since my last 'repair' where I took the freezer apart as indicated above and cleaned out all the frost, cleaned the coils, etc as suggested. I did NOT replace any parts. I did remove the cardboard backing on the back of the fridge and have not reinstalled it and i made sure the back of the fridge is not all the way up against the wall. and I have tried to make sure the freezer door is shut all the time.... and the compressor has sounded much happier than in the past, and no buzz from frost in the freezer! yay!

BUT

about a week ago I noticed the freezer door was difficult to open. could not tell for certain at the time but suspected some water must have some how accumulated under the drawer. sure enough, i took the freezer part this morning and there was a 1/4 inch of ice at the bottom. no appreciable frost around the door seal but where I noticed last night it wasn't sealing properly due to the ice buildup that was probably keeping the door from sealing..

so i cleaned out the ice, took the back panel off and saw a bit of frost build up around the center opening and in the far right corner where it appears the connection to the coils is. I do not see where there is any way water can be getting into the freezer unless something leaked when it was put in the freezer, causing the accumulation I observed. putting it all back together again to see what I will find in another month....

apologies the pictures are in reverse order of taken.

any thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
How come I don't see the evaporator fan running in those photos?

You will need to test those parts to make sure they are working, YOU started this thread in May and we are now in July. LOL

It sounds like the evaporator fan motor is NOT running constantly and that will cause this odd frost pattern as well.

The ice on the freezer floor is because your drain hole under the evaporator coil is clogged up.

Jake

schla

Premium Member
fan isn't running in those photos because the fridge is unplugged...as they say to do when one take the fridge apart...

yes, i started this thread in may and it take a month for the fridge to act up., thought that was clear. the thread actually started at the end of april when I first opened a thread for the ice maker. it was close because I reported it was working again after doing all of that is at the top of this thread, where i repeated all of the above after the ice maker stopped working again end of may, a month later...... but this time I have another problem. or it appears the problem just hasn't come back or the problem is different. especially since the ice maker seems to be working... andyet the fan keeps frosting up...

all of those parts were working.

can you help me understand where said hole is? in that metal tray in the pack below the fan?

thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You said this June 6:
last night I could hear the freezer fan running since it was so loud. it seemed like it was running constantly and occasionally it would shut off for a few minutes then come back on again
That's why I think your evaporator fan motor is misbehaving, it should run at ALL times constantly.:)

2.jpg

Jake

schla

Premium Member
When the fridge is plugged in the fan does run tho I have noticed it . although I m not certain it does run all the time. I can hear the compressor running. when I open the freezer its not clear to me it is running at the moment...

yes, on june 6th that was when it had so much frost build up it was making that clicking sound (it was hitting the ice buildup) and I could hear it when it was running or not...