• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFF507ESS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator - stopped making ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

schla

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF507ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
ice maker stopped working. water line appears fine, I am able to dispense water out the door. I have had issues with a prior fridge ice maker's water line freezing up, and I am wondering if this one has a similar issue. but I do not know how to access the ice maker to check it. it is mounted on the room of the fridge portion of the cabinet. does the cover just pop off to access the ice maker?

schla

Premium Member
so I got the ice maker face plate off, it just pops off, with a set of wires for the sensor still attached. there is one screw into the roof of the fridge but none else that I can see. removing the one screw doesn't loosen the whole assembly to pull it forward (the only way it seems it can go to come off as the ice maker output is around the opening

schla

Premium Member
Is it common for these things to just stop working?

I see that the water supply appears to be separate to the ice maker and the door water dispenser? So one will work and not the other?

Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes and Yes.

Your tech. data sheet is located underneath to top right side door hinge cover, get into the diagnostics and do Service Test - 45: Ice Maker Water Fill Test
NOTE:
Before initiating this test, go to Service Test 57. Initiate ice maker harvest to ensure that all ice is ejected from mold before filling.
--->After an initial 3-second delay, displays the ice maker water fill state on the UI(User Interface) display. Press SW3 to start water fill. Pressing SW3 will toggle between ON and paused (02 = OFF, 03 = ON, 04 = paused).

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good, keep us posted

Jake

schla

Premium Member
ok so I ran thru all the tests. everything individually seems to work. but the ice maker seems to keep thinking its not in the right position. I have checked it twice... it fills the tray, it seems to make ice, it seems to push it out. it just does not seem to automatically make ice... so its that the ice maker does not make ice because it doesnt "land' in the same spot each time?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That indicates the ice maker is possibly bad.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Put and keep a freezer thermometer in the freezer and tell us what the temperature is. You can buy a inexpensive freezer thermometer at any store. Get the liquid filled kind or the digital kind.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's way too warm, it needs to be 16 degrees or lower at all times for the ice maker to work.:)

Jake

schla

Premium Member
so you are implying that there is a problem with my fridge since
1) it is now making a strange compressor sound
2) its not as cold as it should be despite I have not adjusted the temperature on it?

I cannot adjust the temperature on the freezer. it is set to -5C

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's 23 degrees fahrenheit in the freezer?

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the lower back access panel and see if the condenser fan is running, it mounts next to your compressor.

Take some items out of the freezer and look and feel the back panel inside the freezer for frost build-up on it, if no frost build-up found, then remove the back panel inside the freezer and take a photo of the frost pattern of your evaporator coil.

We need to see the frost pattern. Normal would be a thin layer of frost on ALL the coils from TOP to BOTTOM.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

schla

Premium Member
OK I got the manual on line. It was a great help to take the fridge apart. essentially the entire rear of the freezer at the top of the coils was frozen up. I am guessing due to someone leaving the freezer door not completely closed. I cleaned it all out and will see how it operates after the repair :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, yes it looks like someone accidentally left the door open overnight. Yes, let it all defrost.

You can raise the front legs up a little, then the doors will close automatically.:)

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.