• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFF507ESS01 Frost Build-Up in Bottom of Refrigerator Compartment

DanY123

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF507ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
The refrigerator is a french door with freezer on the bottom, ice and water in the door. I have frost build-up in the bottom of the refrigerator compartment. I found it after the refrigerator was not cooling below about 40 degrees. The freezer seems to work fine. I have unplugged the frig. and I'm letting it defrost. I have removed the back cover in the freezer compartment and there is no frost build-up on the coils there and it looks normal. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Dan,

You also have a evaporator coil in the bottom of your refrigerator section, check that for frost build up too.

There is also a fan that mounts above it, see if that's running. There have been fan motor problems in the refrigerator section on these models.

To access it: Look at pages 5-9 and 5-10 here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5wx9d9xppw3wry/R-114 JOB AID W10444924.pdf?dl=0

It will show you how, you may have to remove the Air Tower and the Deli Drawer first, Deli Drawer removal is on pages 5-7 and 5-8.

Here's another member that reported the same: FIXED: WRX988SIBH00 Whirlpool refrigerator, Temperature problems

Here's the refrigerator evaporator fan motor for your model:
W11033168 Fan Motor & Harness

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
Thanks for the info Jake. Yes, the evaporator coil in the refrigerator area is where all the frost was. Now that it has melted somewhat I can see the holes where I assume the air would flow through. Once it has totally melted I will check the operation of the fan. I have a few of questions:

1. Does the upper evap. coil in the refrigerator area have a heating element like the one in the freezer area?
2. I read in another thread about a "Technical Service Pointer" about moving the defrost thermistor. Could this be part of the problem also?
3. In the same thread they also talked about resetting the defrost mode in the service diagnostic mode to "02 basic mode". Could this also help with this problem?
4. Is there a drain for the upper evap. coil like the one on the bottom in the freezer? All of the frost is just melting into the refrigerator compartment and doesn't appear to be draining anywhere. Maybe it is still frozen over as I write this but I'm not sure.

Thanks again,

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
1. No, it does not.

2. Yes, it does list your model in that service bulletin, but lets confirm your serial number first, because it only applies to Serial Numbers: K212 to K704. Post your serial number please.
--->Here's that service bulletin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2davtxcm0ss5szz/frostbuildup.pdf?dl=0

3. Possibly yes, if your serial number DOES NOT fall within K212 to K704. There's many factors that can contribute to changing the ADC time, like how much traffic in and out of the refrigerator and freezer sections, the ambient temperature and humidity of the kitchen where the refrigerator is located, etc.

4. Here's the parts diagram: Parts for KitchenAid KRFF507ESS01: Refrigerator Liner Parts You can see #19 is your drip pan, there should be a drain hole in it, where it drains down to your main drip pan at very bottom of the refrigerator.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
I took the cover off the evaporator inside the refrigerator area and checked the fan - it works. The water is draining but there was so much frost that it was missing the drip tray so that was why it was collecting in the bottom inside the fridge. My SN is K61815103 so I believe it falls within the range of the technical service pointer (TSP) BUT I looked at the placement of the Thermistor and it is where the TSP says to place it- tube coming directly out of evaporator. And to answer your next question: No my refrigerator has not ever been serviced since new. I put everything back together and plugged it in and I am waiting for it to cool down which it appears to be doing.

Thanks for all your help Jake

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan,

I'm glad to hear the thermistor is where its suppose to be, I'm wondering why it frosted up like that then, since the fan is working fine, unless that thermistor is bad.

Have you noticed that fan running alot or a little?

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I really haven't been paying attention to the fan. I seems to be working fine now since all the frost is gone and the air can flow freely. I assume the fan cycles off & on as need for cooling as it is not always running. I have the temp. set at 37 and it is around that temp according to my thermometer so far. I see there is a service test for the thermistor in the diagnostic mode, maybe I'll try that. Thanks a lot for all your help.

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan, sounds good.:)

I see there is a service test for the thermistor in the diagnostic mode, maybe I'll try that.
Yes, good idea.:)

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
Jake,

I tested all of the thermistors that I could find in the diagnostic mode and they all "passed".

Thanks again

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan,

Then let's see how it does the next few days, take note if you can to listen for that refrigerator evaporator fan motor whenever you get something out of the refrigerator.

Jake

DanY123

Premium Member
UPDATE: Hi Jake, the fridge has been working fine since I defrosted it in April. I purchased a refrigerator thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature and it has been keeping it around 37 or 38 degrees and there is no frost build-up that I can see on the evaporator in the refrigerator compartment. The fan seems to be working also. So I don't know what the problem was that caused the frost build-up. I'll let you know if things change. Thanks again for all your help.

Dan

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Dan, sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake

Joema

Premium Member
I had the same exact problem on the exact same model. Froze up 4 times in 2 years. Changed evap motor, thermister, front cover, nothing worked. Finally Kitchen Aid said they couldn’t do anything else so gave me 75% of the list price to purchase a new refrigerator. I defrosted the evap today again until I go and see new refrigerators. This refrigerator new model now has a heater in the evaporator section. Should have done it from the start.

DanY123

Premium Member
I guess I've been lucky, for what ever reason mine has not frozen up since (knock on wood). I keep an eye on the evap. coil behind the meat drawer so far so good. Good luck. You going to get the same model?

Joema

Premium Member
I have all matching appliances with the same pull handles so I would like to stay matching. Wouldn’t be afraid to buy the same with the upgrade. Let’s see how long this works. Good luck.

racerfern

Premium Member
Hmm, I had the inside coil block solid, it was only a couple of months old so repair came out and flipped something in the secret menu. (How do I get to the secret menu?) Model KRFF707ESS Serial #K52413481

Now three months later and it's starting to do it again. I took pictures this time, but something is clearly wrong. I'm not about to take it apart since it's in warranty and I'm going to call again for service. But that's not what I should have to do. Fight for a replacement, or at least a real fix?

I'm open to suggestions.

DanY123

Premium Member
I think there is a Tech Sheet attached to the refrigerator under one of the top hinge covers that shows how to enter the "Service Diagnostics Mode". It show how to perform various Service Tests on different components.

racerfern

Premium Member
I hope there is something under the hinge cover, however, removing the hinge cover has now become the challenge. :(

DanY123

Premium Member
Mine have just one phillips head screw holding the hinge cover on. It was on the right side hinge of my fridge.

Last edited:

racerfern

Premium Member
DOH! I "assumed" it would be a snap on cover, since a phillips screw would be an added expense. Anyways, thanks. I got the tech sheet under the second (right side) cover. It's never the first one you try.;)

My unit doesn't meet the TSP model number requirement in the range, but it wouldn't surprise me. They're coming Thursday but this time I'll be armed to the teeth.

Thanks @DanY123