• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFF507ESS01 Frost Build-Up in Bottom of Refrigerator Compartment

racerfern

Premium Member
After pushing more buttons than I could imagine, I got to the setting for Auto defrost. The technician that was here last time said he changed the setting. However, it was set to "01" Auto Defrost or ADC" which is somewhere between 8 and 96 hours whenever needed. I set it to "02" for defrost every 8 hours. I confirmed by exiting Service Diagnostics and re-entering. It went to "02" instead of "01".

I still want the technician that's coming on Thursday to verify the thermistor is located properly because why should I have to run a cycle every 8 hours, especially if not needed. I will report back.

TIMMMY

This blog is a life saver!..I have same problem kitchenaid KRFF507ESS01. have to defrost every couple months due to frost behind meat/cheese drawer so bad you can't close drawer. Did the tech code mode and test 6 read "01" bimetal closed/sensor short. Do I need a new sensor? Now the problem also starts with a humming fan that seems to be coming from the top back vent...it that due to the frosted over bottom vent?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Service Test - 6: Defrost Heater/Bi-Metal
NOTE: If bi-metal is open, it will need to be bypassed for heater to operate.
Heater should be ON. Display will be blank until a valid reading is displayed
(01 = bi-metal closed, 02 = bi-metal open).

01=bi-metal closed, it doesn't say short. This test 6 ONLY applies to your freezer bi-metal, not your refrigerator bi-metal, because your refrigerator evaporator does not use a defrost heater to defrost the coils, it uses the refrigerator fan.:)

I'm attaching the tech data sheet for this model below.

The first thing you will want to do is post your serial number to see if you need to relocate your thermistor per that service bulletin I posted in post #4 of this thread.

Then access that fan motor and see if its running.

Jake

Attachments

racerfern

Premium Member
Well, the tech replaced the main board in the back of the fridge. It's still building up ice but possibly not as quickly. However as of two days ago I have a relatively loud whirring sound coming from the fridge, top section about the middle. It could sound like a compressor or a fan. Sound is on just about 24/7 but not quite. Cooling is good at this point though the lowest drawer, cheese etc is quite cold even though it's set to 40. Things aren't freezing anywhere but I have to believe something is going to rear its ugly head. The unit will be one year old in August so I really want to get this resolved ASAP.