• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFF707ESS01 both RC and FC not cooling below 55-60 degrees

futbol8424

Premium Member
Model Number
KRFF707ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I first want to thank everyone in these forums as I have learned so much throughout the years!!

Had the same frost problem in the RC as everyone. You see the frost build up behind the cheese drawer. So I defrosted the RC, as I do every 5-6 months, since I've owned the unit. Removed the evaporator cover and went at it with a hair dryer. But not the FC at the time, since everything was still frozen. Plugged it all back in and temperature would not drop in RC below 50. I decided to check the FC and it had some ice on the top of the coils but not the bottom. Assume the defrost only works closer to the bottom. Defrosted the freezer and now both RC and FC wont go below 55-60. Ran diagnostics and both fans work, both thermistors pass, took apart the FC evaporator fan and put it in my garage freezer and once it got to 0 degrees tested continuity on the defrost thermostat and the thermistor, and both worked fine. Cleaned the little bit of dust on the condenser coils, checked the condensor fan and it runs along with the compressor. Noticed a water leak from the drain pipe, so I unscrewed that off and it was full of water. I notice something inside that kind of looked like glue. So I took a small stick to see if it was hard or not, ends up it was like gunk built up. Took a small blower to the opposite side of the drain and it cleared out perfectly. that could be why I was getting frost and ice at the bottom of the RC and FC at times since the water never drained. Put that back together and tested both drains and water flowed fine now.

The only problem I see is that the compressor gets very hot. When I plug it in, it clicks on and goes to work. I dont know what else to do. I dont want to try to add refrigerant until I exhaust all other avenues. Any suggestions? Anything I missed? Outside of warranty except for sealed system but the next available appointment is not until next week. Have kids and working from home, so need the fridge asap. Thanks again for all the help.

Attachments

• File_001.png
    File_001.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 196
  • gunk.PNG
    gunk.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 191

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Since its still under the 5 year sealed system warranty, don't try to fix it yourself or they will void your warranty, then your up a creek.

The best thing to do till KitchenAid arrives is to buy about 15 pounds of dry ice and put it in the freezer and that will keep it cold till next week.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help, let us know what they find if you could please.:)

Thanks!

Jake