• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRFF707ESS01 Kitchenaid French Door fridge evaporator coil freezing up

mguyer

Model Number
KRFF707ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
I am at my wit's end with this fridge!!!

I have a KRFF707ESS01 fridge that's about 5 years old now. Here's the history:

2018 - buy at a scratch and dent place brand new, see broken glass in it but the broken shelves have been replaced and we take it home
- water pools consistently under the corner of the freezer door, I look at the pan underneath and up the tube, looks fine and I pour hot water down the drain to unclog but nothing works
2019 - we move and bring it with us, it sits in the garage off for a year while we remodel the kitchen
2020 - finally ready to move it inside, we turn it on and it goes warm, there's an obvious refrigerant leak and it is soon completely out
- we have someone come look, he reloads it and replaces both evaporator coils since that's sometimes the culprit
- he also finds that the drain has tons of broken glass in it from the original shelves and once he cleans that completely out, the water never pools under the fridge again
- all is good for a month until it gets warm again, he comes back and tells us there's an internal leak somewhere and we need a new fridge
- we refill with stop leak refrigerant and it seems to fix the issue! pressure stabilizes and it stays cold
- after spending half of last year refilling refrigerant every 6 weeks until we do the stop-leak, I am so ready to just be able to use it but alas....last fall the fridge evaporator coils start freezing up into a block every 8 weeks or so
2021 - for months i just unload, hair dry, and reload every two months when it gets too frozen up but I get sick of that so I replace the thermistor.
- Last month it got worse. It now starts to freezes up in 5-7 days after defrosting. We first noticed because it started to give a "PO" error message and it seemed to be connected to when the fridge was frozen up. It started to power cycle every hour or two when it was frozen. When I ran the internal diagnostic mode it powered off once it hit the freezer evaporator fan (but I haven't had any issues with the freezer compartment). Once I defrost it doesn't power off until the fridge freezes up completely again). I replaced the FRIDGE evaporator fan assembly (including thermistors) but it didn't help. I ran a dollar bill inside the door seals and they seem to be tight as far as I can tell. I consider myself pretty handy and I can dismantle the fridge compartment in 4 minutes flat at this point. What else do I check?!?!?!? This is a photo of 6 days post-defrost if the pattern helps anyone tell what the issue is....nothing else in diagnostic mode comes up as a red flag. I thought maybe it was because I had the temperature set as low as it went (34 maybe?) and it was condensation freezing so I moved it back to the default 37 but it still freezes up.

I have wasted so much time on this darn thing, I am ready to throw in the towel, but I feel like there must be something simple I am missing....

frost pattern.png

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this model has been very problematic for Whirlpool. This model is a DUAL EVAPORATOR model, meaning one evaporator in the freezer compartment, one evaporator in the refrigerator compartment per your photo of it above.

I advise all my customers to only get the single evaporator style, just in the freezer compartment, far less troubles.

I also see the plastic drain pan underneath the evaporator coil is BOWED in the middle.

There is a service bulletin(French Door Refrigerators--->Frost Build Up On Evaporator) that just came out on this problem and it applies to your model as well.

Here's our main thread on this problem:
Look at posts #13 from @trek_biker and #14 @Pam E you can see photos of theirs BOWED in the middle too.

I posted the part number of the new drain pan and service bulletin(French Door Refrigerators--->Frost Build Up On Evaporator) in post #18 of that thread.

Jake

I was having the same problem. I finally removed the s-trap in the drain tube underneath the refrigerator and it was clogged with dirt/algae buildup. I cleaned that out and replaced it, defrosted the ice buildup and it has been working well since then.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad to hear that.(y)

Thanks for letting us know, that will help others too.

Paying it forward is ALWAYS GOOD KARMA!

Jake