• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFF707ESS01 purchased in 2018. I have been dealing with chronic ice build up on the evaporator coils in refrigerator section

trek_biker

Premium Member
Hi everyone,

This forum is great. I have the Kitchenaid KRFF707ESS01 purchased in 2018. I have been dealing with chronic ice build up on the evaporator coils in refrigerator section. Had to remove the ice three different times this year. Defrost thermistor is in the right place, on evaporator coil. I even changed the defrost setting to basic so that it would automatically defrost every 8 hours, hoping it would fix the issue.....nope still ices up. I've read that newer models of this refrigerator have a defrost heater installed...Can anyone confirm this?

Corrected model number

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I've read that newer models of this refrigerator have a defrost heater installed...Can anyone confirm this?
I have not heard or seen that.

Did you make sure the refrigerator evaporator fan is running? that assists in the defrost.

Forcing the evaporator fan motor to run--->Service Test - 3: Evaporator Fan and Air Baffle Motors

Here's the refrigerator evaporator fan motor for your model:
W11033168 Fan Motor & Harness

Jake

trek_biker

Premium Member
Correction to previous post......I have Kitchenaid KRFF707ESS01 not 507ESS.......

Tested refrigerator evaporator fan....and it works...

Ices up about every three months.....door seals appear fine.....temp set to 37......

just seems stupid to put an evaporator in, without a heater.......

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Wait, you already relocated the refrigerator evaporator thermistor per that service bulletin?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. Test to see if your refrigerator evaporator thermistor is good.

Do Service Test - 39: RC Evaporator Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

Jake

Attachments

• W10832298-RevA.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 120

trek_biker

Premium Member
Yes I already relocated refrigerator evaporator thermistor per bulletin........Ran test 39 and display read 01 = pass, so it's good

I melted the ice.....so I guess I'll just hope for the best...

Have to wait three months and see if it does it again......

Thank you for all your help Jake.......I really appreciate it...

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome trek_biker(y)

Its very odd that it only does this every 3 months, usually when you have a auto defrost problem, the frost/ice builds up much quicker like within 10-14 days.

I really don't know what else would cause this doing every 3 months. Hopefully another tech or member that's run into this problem with it frosting/icing up "every 3 months" can shed some light on it for us. I'm very curious myself.

Jake

Pam E

Premium Member
trec_biker I have the same model as you also purchased in 2018 (model- KRFF707ESS01 S/N- K82015554). I am trying to pinpoint what is causing this ice buildup everything passes in Diagnostics Mode. Repair men have been out and replaced the damper control assembly and fan three times and still freezes. One guy even replaced some board on the outside back of the unit. Still freezes. I do notice the coils are freezing from the left side first. I have also taken pictures every time it has frozen. In my pictures I notice one of them has ice forming on the back wall of the fridge. Could it be possible condensation is forming on the back wall and dripping down the air tower causing our problem? Even though it is set to defrost the coils every 8 hours it is dripping and freezing faster than the coils can keep up with it so we end up with a huge block of ice over the coils. I noticed yesterday on mine I had water drips coming from the white plastic area to the right of the styrofoam surrounding the damper control assembly. My initial thought was some how my ice maker was dripping water down the back wall but after looking back at my past pictures I'm wondering if to much condensation is building up in the air tower and freezing on the back wall dripping down. I am thinking it is dripping thru the hole that the fan blows thru to cool the air tower. So the question is how do you stop so much condensation from building up in the air tower? Condensation does not build up anyplace else but in the tower. The first picture is the ice on the back wall . Second picture is iced coils with thickest part of the ice is on the left hand side. Third picture is where I first noticed water drips dripping on the coils. Fourth picture is the hole I feel the water from the back wall is dripping into. Any help anyone has on solving this problem with this fridge would be greatly appreciated. I love the fridge except for the freezing up issue.

Attachments

• fridge air tower.jpg
    fridge air tower.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 108
  • fridge coils.jpg
    fridge coils.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 106
  • fridge.jpg
    fridge.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 107
  • fridge hole.jpg
    fridge hole.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 117

trek_biker

Premium Member
Jake.....the frost/ice may be building up in 10-14 days....but I don't notice it, until I see ice accumulate on the exterior of evaporator cover, see attached pic, which takes on average 2-3 months.

Pam E....the coils seem to freeze from the left side first....then the ice moves to the right side of evaporator.....then I believe the ice moves up towards damper and fan.....when ice covers the fan, it'll stop spinning. How long did you have the fridge before the first ice up? We owned ours for a year and a half before it started to ice up.

We definitely have the same problem. I have no idea what's causing the ice buildup. Seems like a horrible idea to put an evaporator in without a heater. A simple heater wrapped around the evaporator would probably prevent this.

I wish I could answer some of your questions, but I just don't know the answer. Maybe Jake or someone else can help.

Attachments

• Ice_on_cover.jpeg
    Ice_on_cover.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Ice_Buildup_Evaporator.jpeg
    Ice_Buildup_Evaporator.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 82

Pam E

Premium Member
trek_biker mine was installed 6/15/2018, repaired 11/19/2018, repaired 4/11/2019, repaired 10/22/2019, repaired 3/12/2020 and iced up again on 2/23/2021. Is all they want to do is replace the same parts.
Mine looks exactly like yours. Have you taken the air tower off of yours while it is froze up? If not I bet it freezes up the back wall. On the left side it drips in the fan hole and on the right side it drips down the back of the wall and comes out under the drip tray. I'm thinking it freezes up back wall and drips/freezes faster than the refrigerator defrosts. The million $ question is how to fix it. lol If you figure out the solution please let me know.

trek_biker

Premium Member
Mine was installed 6/26/2018...same month and year as yours...same model too.....No I haven't taken air tower off, but if it ices up again, I'll have the repair tech remove it and check for ice. Maybe Jake could advise re: your theory about it freezing up on the back wall and dripping down...If I figure it out solution, I'll definitely let you know.

trek_biker

Premium Member
Pam E....I have an update....here's my theory on what's happening to my Kitchenaid KRFF707ESS01 Refrigerator, not sure if this is same for yours but I'll explain....
I was reviewing my pictures when I noticed that the drip pan was warped in the middle. It's tough to see unless you look at it carefully, see attached picture. Look at the middle of drip pan....see the warping or dish up. Water drips into the left side of drip pan, but can't reach the drain hole on the right side because of the warp in the middle. This causes ice build up on the left side of evaporator, then ice builds up on the right side of evaporator, then ice goes up towards fan. An accumulation of ice under the drip pan caused the warp.

Can you check your pictures and see if your drip pan is warped. Its easier to see if your at eye level with it.....Let me know....

Attachments

• C60E5C18-D975-4691-9538-E7EF46F44064.jpeg
    C60E5C18-D975-4691-9538-E7EF46F44064.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 104

Pam E

Premium Member
trek_biker... I have attached a picture of the first time my fridge froze up and the last time my fridge froze up. To me it does not look like it was warped to begin with but is now from the heat guns the repair techs used. This last time I had it all apart I did try to remove the drip pan, but the whole thing needs to come off the back wall. The housing fits inside the drip pan. I do feel the fridge does not drain as it should because of the drip pan being warped. If you end up changing yours out let me know how you do it so the next time mine freezes up I might as well change mine since I have to take the whole fridge apart to defrost it. lol

Attachments

• drip tray fridge 1.jpg
    drip tray fridge 1.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 99
  • drip tray fridge 2.jpg
    drip tray fridge 2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 90

trek_biker

Premium Member
Pam E.....your right, in order to take off drip pan the whole housing needs to come off, drip pan comes off from the back. If I change mine I'll keep you posted. I did check behind my air tower and I didn't see any ice there. Putting two evaporators in this unit seems like a bad idea. One evaporator in the freezer to cool both sections sounds like better plan because that evaporator has a defrost heater. We'll figure this out.....

megarms

Premium Member
Pam E....I have an update....here's my theory on what's happening to my Kitchenaid KRFF707ESS01 Refrigerator, not sure if this is same for yours but I'll explain....
I was reviewing my pictures when I noticed that the drip pan was warped in the middle. It's tough to see unless you look at it carefully, see attached picture. Look at the middle of drip pan....see the warping or dish up. Water drips into the left side of drip pan, but can't reach the drain hole on the right side because of the warp in the middle. This causes ice build up on the left side of evaporator, then ice builds up on the right side of evaporator, then ice goes up towards fan. An accumulation of ice under the drip pan caused the warp.

Can you check your pictures and see if your drip pan is warped. Its easier to see if your at eye level with it.....Let me know....
Have you replaced your drip pan yet? I noticed that mine is warped also, however it appears as if the inside of the drip pan may drain towards the hole.

Pam E

Premium Member
Have you replaced your drip pan yet? I noticed that mine is warped also, however it appears as if the inside of the drip pan may drain towards the hole.
megarms - I have not replaced my drip pan yet because I am not entirely sure how to do it. You have to take the housing off of the back wall because it fits inside of the drip pan. I just pulled my meat drawer out and I can see it is building ice once again on the left hand side. The drip hole is on the right hand side. I sure wish we could figure this problem out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I just located a NEW service bulletin about the BOWED DRAIN PAN, you will need to order this new drain pan:

And follow the instructions in this service bulletin, it does tell you how to remove it.

Let us know how it goes.

Attachments

• service-pointer-w11092686-revg.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 168

Andreanicole

Hello, I have a Kitchenaid KRFF707ESS01 refrigerator and have the same problem. Ice builds up in the coil and the refrigerator won't cool. I have owned this refrigerator for a year and a half (purchased Oct. 2019) and have had a repairman come for this same problem 4 times in the past 12 months. He has replaced the evaporator pan, added sealant, cleaned the gaskets and replaced all of the sensors twice. He is replacing the gaskets next, but not sure if that's really going to make a difference. If anyone has found out why this keeps happening or if there really is a permanent fix I'd love to hear from you. I purchased an extended warranty, but they said that it needs to happen a couple more times before they would offer me a buy out or a replacement. Seeing as I'm not the only one with this problem it seems like a design flaw and not just a bad unit. I really like the features and look of this fridge, but if this is a design flaw I would not want a replacement. I always read that Whirlpool/Kitchenaid are the most reliable fridges around, so if this is what reliable looks like I can't imagine what other brands will be like. :(

megarms

Premium Member
Hello, I have a Kitchenaid KRFF707ESS01 refrigerator and have the same problem. Ice builds up in the coil and the refrigerator won't cool. I have owned this refrigerator for a year and a half (purchased Oct. 2019) and have had a repairman come for this same problem 4 times in the past 12 months. He has replaced the evaporator pan, added sealant, cleaned the gaskets and replaced all of the sensors twice. He is replacing the gaskets next, but not sure if that's really going to make a difference. If anyone has found out why this keeps happening or if there really is a permanent fix I'd love to hear from you. I purchased an extended warranty, but they said that it needs to happen a couple more times before they would offer me a buy out or a replacement. Seeing as I'm not the only one with this problem it seems like a design flaw and not just a bad unit. I really like the features and look of this fridge, but if this is a design flaw I would not want a replacement. I always read that Whirlpool/Kitchenaid are the most reliable fridges around, so if this is what reliable looks like I can't imagine what other brands will be like. :(
It is obviously a bad design. If it weren't, there would not be a service bulletin on it. Their customer service sucks and they treat it as if this were a $1000 refrigerator. No more Whirlpool/Kitchen aide anything for my house.