• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRFF707ESS01 purchased in 2018. I have been dealing with chronic ice build up on the evaporator coils in refrigerator section

Pam E

Premium Member
Lowe's ended up doing a buy out on my Kitchenaid. I just keep defrosting it every couple of months now that I know what to look for I can tell when it is starting to freeze up. I definitely think Kitchenaid had a bad batch of fridges that went out and I got one of them. Mine matches all my other appliances so I'm not going to be quick to change it out.

KathyNeal3

Premium Member
I have the same fridge and the same issues. I did everything per the notice and it still freezes up. I have found that after removing the bottom drawer it buys me more time between freeze ups. I’m out of warranty now but floored it’s clearly a known issue and there’s no real fix. Plus there’s no recall so we have to pay for repairing or replacing. Awful product engineering on KitchenAid’s part

KathyNeal3

Premium Member
I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below. Test to see if your refrigerator evaporator thermistor is good.

Do Service Test - 39: RC Evaporator Thermistor
--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display the results on the Temp display (01 = pass, 02 = open, 03 = short).

Jake
How do you do the test and set the defrost times? For whatever reason I cannot open this file

KathyNeal3

Premium Member
Jake.....the frost/ice may be building up in 10-14 days....but I don't notice it, until I see ice accumulate on the exterior of evaporator cover, see attached pic, which takes on average 2-3 months.

Pam E....the coils seem to freeze from the left side first....then the ice moves to the right side of evaporator.....then I believe the ice moves up towards damper and fan.....when ice covers the fan, it'll stop spinning. How long did you have the fridge before the first ice up? We owned ours for a year and a half before it started to ice up.

We definitely have the same problem. I have no idea what's causing the ice buildup. Seems like a horrible idea to put an evaporator in without a heater. A simple heater wrapped around the evaporator would probably prevent this.

I wish I could answer some of your questions, but I just don't know the answer. Maybe Jake or someone else can help.
Mine does the exact same thing. I have taken the bottom drawer out. When I see build up I put a hair dryer on it for a few min . Seems to happen every 3/4 months

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No one else is having a issue downloading the .pdf I posted in post #18. 138 people have download it so far.

It tells you to change the defrost cycle from ADC to 8 hours.

Jake