• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRMF606ESS00 Kitchenaid Refrig Ice maker not making ice

Bigben

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF606ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Test 56 error code E2
Test 57=20
Test 59=02
Test 58=01 or 11 between toggle
First started noticing water dripping from ice maker down the fridge and on the floor. Eventually noticed it stopped making ice.

I did hit the ice maker off switch on the inside of icebox. Do I have to reset anything after doing that? I just thought of this and remembered I did that when I noticed the water. But when I cleaned it up and turned it back on it never did it again. I also noticed a red LED light on by that switch? The light is beside the right OFF side of the switch. But the switch is in the ON position.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
E2 = Motor Lost Position, IM didn't find home during harvest and exceeded Max attempts. Check for obstructions in IM, If none found verify operation of IM.

You will need to remove the ice maker and check for obstructions in it.

Here's the ice maker for your model:
whirlpool-icemaker-wpw10764668-ap6024044_01_m.jpg

Watch this video to remove it:

Jake

Bigben

Premium Member
So if nothing is obstructing it, are you saying it needs replaced? And what do you mean by verifying operation?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So if nothing is obstructing it, are you saying it needs replaced?
That is correct Sir.:)

And what do you mean by verifying operation?
Actually you already did that in TEST 57 and it also failed.
Service Test - 57 Ice Maker Harvest
--->Press SW3 to activate a Harvest sequence.
Digit 1 displays the state of the sequence.
Digit 2 displays the outcome of the sequence. Once initiated, the sequence cannot be exited.
Digit 1 0 = Heater and Motor OFF, 1 = IM Heater ON, 2 = Motor Rotating CW until it finds
home position.
Digit 2 0 = In Progress, 1 = Harvesting Completed, 2 = Harvesting not completed,
Doors must be closed.
NOTE: Harvesting Not Completed does not exit the step, but indicates the timeout of 70 seconds has passed.

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

Bigben

Premium Member
So if the results for test 57 are 20, and that second digit means it’s in progress. But it also times out? Do I run the test again until it finds it or does that mean it fails?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If nothing is obstructing the ice maker ejector arm from turning, then that means the ice maker itself is the culprit.

Jake

gwolanin

Premium Member
I have this issue as the original topic but my issue is slightly different: KRMF706ESS00 not automatically making ice

There are no error codes being thrown for the ice maker. Everything tests fine, as I have run through all the service tests multiple times in case I missed something.

I AM able to manually:

fill ice maker with water
harvest ice

But it won't do it automatically.

Before it totally stopped working, it made ice and kept making ice one more time to overflow the ice bucket.
Removed the fill tube and checked it out, no issue there.

Sometimes before that it wouldn't make ice at all then would suddenly make ice.

I'm beginning to think that I need to just replace the ice maker as I am not sure what else any kind of other test I need to run.

Any ideas?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, if its under 10 degrees F in the ice maker compartment, then that indicates your ice maker is the culprit.

Here's the ice maker for your model: Icemaker W11577195

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

Jake

gwolanin

Premium Member
Well this one is not a direct replacement for my KitchenAid, the ice maker unit that I have is W10746960. I would have to totally rewire the thermistor connector to get this one to work. I don't want to do that because I do not know for sure if the wires into the motor are correct.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I'm getting different results per different part sites.

Some sites are listing--->WPW10764668 as your ice maker.

But if I put WPW10764668 in appliancepartspros it converts it to Icemaker W11577195

Ice maker part number W10746960 changes to: W11483245

Jake

gwolanin

Premium Member
I have replaced it with the correct part this time. I guess I will see within an hour or so if it starts to make ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Give it 24 hours.

If still nothing, This is a very unusual problem that I've never seen before.

Its best to contact KitchenAid to come out at 800-422-1230, then the KA tech can call the FACTORY HOTLINE from your house to investigate this problem, if the KA tech has not seen it before either.

Jake

gwolanin

Premium Member
I have a feeling that it might be the ice box fan. It kicks on but does not move that much air. I ran service test that harvests ice and filled the ice maker with water, it is not frozen yet, which leads me to believe that the fan just isn't blowing cold air out.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
It MUST be 10 degrees or lower at all times for the ice maker to work properly and consistently.

If its not 10 degrees or lower in the ice maker compartment(aka ice box compartment), then I'd check the ice box fan motor to see if its running.

Here's the ice box fan motor for your model:
W10846539 Fan

Service Test - 36 Ice Box Fan
--->Check for fan operation. Control Ice Box Fan using SW3. Display the status on Temp Display. (01 = ON, 02 = OFF). Verify air flow from the IB fan.

Jake

gwolanin

Premium Member
Replaced ice box fan. Ice box is consistently cold again.
Still not automatically making ice, I can manually do it though when in service mode.

I will probably have to call KitchenAid. I've spent close to $1k for parts and this is ridiculous.
I would rather call the FACTORY HOTLINE myself and have them walk me through this.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have never mentioned what the temperature is in the ice maker compartment, go buy a cheap freezer thermometer and put it in the ice maker compartment for 2 hours, if its still not below 10 degrees, you can change every part on that machine, only to find out its a sealed system problem.

Jake