• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRMF706ESS KitchenAid fridge cooling issue - Test 39: Open Evap Thermistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftydad

Premium Member
k - but do I pull the fridge out from the wall and take the back of it off? Or the inside top cover (ie. where water filter is) of the fridge compartment off? Guess I'm not sure where to find the tan wire.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
on the isolation water valve behind the machine,
Behind the machine. The main water supply for the refrigerator connects to it. Some of the wires in the harness are taped together so you might need to cut through some tape to follow the wire. Use black tape to hold them if needed.

craftydad

Premium Member
Emptying out and storing all the food to move the fridge is quite a chore - I'm gonna think positive - I just ordered the part and will empty/move when I install it. Should be within a week I think. Will report back once I'm done. Thanks!

Pete

rickgburton

Staff member
Emptying out and storing all the food to move the fridge
I've moved a lot of refrigerators away from the wall in the last 30+ years and not once did I have to empty one. They are on rollers and move easily. You don't need to unplug it to look for the diodes. I would have check the diodes, either at the board or in the harness just to make sure that's the problem. Since you already ordered it I think you're good and that will fix it. Besides, I'm only wrong once a year and it's way to early yet.....LOL

craftydad

Premium Member
So, this is what I got in the mail yesterday. Something tells me it’s the wrong part. I don’t see any “2 tan wires and 2 violet wires” the board and actuator. ???

940BB36E-F334-43F9-A04E-77B8EA21C5E8.jpeg

mfreib1

Premium Member
Is there a video somewhere that shows how to do this repair? It sounds VERY similar to the issues I am having.

rickgburton

Staff member
You don't need to replace the entire wire harness if you have a couple diodes. Too bad radio shack went under.

CTeddiem

Premium Member
I think this thread identifies my problem... 706ess not cooling well (55 degrees in fridge).
About a year ago the RC evap fan was bad and I replaced it. All was well until a few days ago.
Now, no cooling... very little ice... sometimes.

I ran all the diagnostics and #39RC Evaporator thermistor comes up as "open" 02
Seems like a no brainer, but...

At some point at least 6 months ago, the LEDs in the fridge stopped working. I read a bunch of posts that tied it to the deli drawer wiring being damaged. As other have done, I disconnected the deli drawer connector and the LEDS went back on. No problem, I don't use the deli settings anyway.

I just want to verify that the RC Evaporator Thermistor WHIRLPOOL Temperature sensor (W10316760) is the one to replace.

My concern is
the with the drawer disconnected, and because there is a thermistor in the drawer too, that the "open" is indicating the thermistor near the Evaporator coils and fan is the right one to replace. They also refer to a little white thing under a plastic cover as a thermister...sounds like that's not it either.

I think I read somewhere that I could test the RV Evap thermistor at a connector in the back of the fridge with a ohmmeter. True? Not looking forward to taking half the fridge apart if I can test for the open thermistor from a connector in the back first! Of course the diagnostics are probably right!

Appreciate this support forum... it's great!

rickgburton

Staff member
Unplug the machine. Disconnect the P8 connector and P5 connector on the main control board. Measure the resistance in the connector. RC evaporator thermistor is P8-3 (pink) to P8-4 (light blue). RC thermistor is P5-1 (gray) to P5-2 (white)

CTeddiem

Premium Member
Thanks! RC Evaporator Thermistor was open...installed new one (and relocated because it was in the wrong place as per service bulletin!)

All fixed... fridge back on. RC=38 FC=0

Then, a few days later I notice that the RC seems warm. Check with a thermometer - RC seems to hover around 48-50
#39 says OK!

The first few days the temp was nice and cool. Then yesterday it seemed warm (temp measured around 43), today it's about 50... Freezer is about 4 degrees, Ice maker is making ice.

I did notice that there is no #7 to turn on an 8hr defrost cycle. Test go from #6 to #8.

Any thoughts?

CTeddiem

Premium Member
Hard to tell. In this fridge, younedd to take the refrige section almost completely apart to see the evaporator coils. Once apart, you can;t determine what's going on because without all the baffles and boxes, it behaves differently.

CTeddiem

Premium Member
I did a #38 short defrost mode 2 hours ago and the temp is now 42... from 54 before that.

CTeddiem

Premium Member
If that's it, what's the solution to getting the defrost to getting it to defrost regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.