• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRMF706ESS01 KitchenAid Refrigerator Making Loud Buzzing Sound

badfridge

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi, our fridge is constantly making a loud buzzing sound (audio attached). Previously, our refrigerator KRMF706ESS01 had a problem with not being able to cool the fresh food area of the fridge where the two large doors open. That problem was fixed as we had someone come in who repaired it by replacing the sensor but not the fan (the previous sensor and fan where attached together but the repairman separated the two and replaced the old sensor with the new sensor) and moving the location of the sensor. The old and new sensors are not the same model. We later identified that the issue with the fresh food area not being cooled was caused by ice build up in the middle two compartments that prevented the two large doors from closing and hence cool air escaped. The fridge worked fine for about a month after the repairman replaced the sensor until we hit this problem where the fridge constantly makes a loud buzzing sound. Now, our fridge almost constantly makes a loud buzzing sound and when it stops, it pauses for brief moment before resuming the loud buzzing sound.

We also unplugged the fridge for a night and replugged it back in and it seemed to be working normally until a few hours later when the loud buzzing sound started again.

I've tried searching online without success. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Can you pinpoint exactly where that loud buzzing sound is coming from? Inside the refrigerator? Inside the freezer?

Pull your refrigerator out from the wall and see if its coming from the back, behind the rear lower access panel, in fact you can remove that rear lower access panel and see if its coming from the compressor or the condenser fan motor that mounts next to the compressor.

Jake

badfridge

Premium Member
We opened the rear lower access panel and it doesn't seem like the sound is coming from the compressor. We think it's coming from the condenser fan motor but we can't verify because we can't actually see it. I attached two images and another sound recording (this one is louder). The sound comes from the blue tape that we marked. The other image shows what we see when we open the rear lower access panel.

Attachments

• 121694936_349829989430123_8008386547297727664_n.jpg
    121694936_349829989430123_8008386547297727664_n.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 122003752_352812319376929_3653810003120417649_n.jpg
    122003752_352812319376929_3653810003120417649_n.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 44

badfridge

Premium Member
I realized my posts don't actually have the audio clips, here's a video recording

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The condenser fan motor I see in your 2nd photo. See if its coming from there.

If not, open the left side refrigerator door and see if its coming from there.

If not, open the freezer door and see if its coming from there.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Then it's likely the freezer evaporator fan motor that's making that noise.

Here's the freezer evaporator fan motor assembly for your model: W11249952

Here's the video that shows you how to replace it:

Jake

badfridge

Premium Member
What might be some of the reasons that resulted this issue? Is it possible that the mainboard also needs a replacement?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just a bad fan motor, or that fan motor is hitting ice build-up on the evaporator coil shroud,

Jake

badfridge

Premium Member
Thank you Jake!

Just another quick question, do you think if it is the previous switch of our sensor that caused this damage to the fan motor or the ice build-up? I'm wondering because if that's the case, this might happen again even after switching the fan motor.

Thanks!

badfridge

Premium Member
Also, once the freezer has hit the target temperature, the fan still spins. Sometimes it would pause a few seconds but then it would resume even if the temperature was already cold enough.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just another quick question, do you think if it is the previous switch of our sensor that caused this damage to the fan motor or the ice build-up? I'm wondering because if that's the case, this might happen again even after switching the fan motor.
Yes the previous switch of our sensor, because the person should of ordered and replaced the entire assembly which is the fan motor that comes with the sensor, if the manufactotor wanted folks to just replace the sensor that would of made it seperate from the fan motor, you see what I mean?

Jake

badfridge

Premium Member
Then do we need to replace the fan motor on the top as well? because the fan motor that comes with the sensor the previous person did not replace was from the top which is not freezer evaporator fan motor.

Should we also move the sensor back to where it was originally bought, although the replacement of the sensor did make the top of the fridge to function better but worsened the freezer.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Order the fan motor and the sensor comes with it.:)

I'm attaching the service bulletin where the sensor goes, look on page 3.

Jake

Attachments

• Service Pointer -RefrigEvapThermistor W11092686 - Rev A.pdf
    695.5 KB · Views: 41

badfridge

Premium Member
Sorry, do we replace the freezer fan or the this fan that is attached to the sensor? From what I understand, these two fans are different, one is for the freezer and the other is for fresh food.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is that the one making the noise? You must verify it is before you order it, which means you will need to remove everything from the freezer and access that freezer fan motor to see.

Actually both the freezer fan motor and refrigerator fan motor both come with the sensor.

Jake

Ron342

Premium Member
Hello Jake and Badfridge - had the same problem, same model, loud vibrating noise and high freezer temps, and found the freezer evap enclosure all iced up with solid ice block on the refrigerant line and ice on the fan blade.
Defrosted it with a heat gun, fan seems fine, but I see the above service bulletin only applies to the fridge evaporator not the freezer evap?? Is there a similar bulletin for the freezer?? I'm wondering if I should check and maybe relocate the sensor if it freezes up up again?
I didn't see a defrost heater (didn't really look hard) and understand some of these just rely on airflow from the fridge compartment - is that why the diagnostic tests for this model omits the defrost component tests?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I see the above service bulletin only applies to the fridge evaporator not the freezer evap??
Correct, just the refrigerator evaporator coil.

Is there a similar bulletin for the freezer??
No.

I'm attaching the tech. data sheet below.

Do Service Test - 77 Defrost Thermistor
• The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display (01 = PASS, 02 = OPEN, 03 = SHORT)

The freezer defrost thermistor only comes with the new freezer evaporator fan motor, I posted the link to it in post #7.

You can ohm test your heating element, its located underneath the freezer evaporator coil.

Make sure you unplug your refrigerator first. Here's the video of how to ohm test your defrost heater:

Here's the defrost heater for your model:
Defrost Heater Assembly WP12729128
Defrost-Heater-Assembly-WP12729128-01651593.jpg

Jake

Attachments

• Tech Sheet - W10844356 - Rev A.pdf
    514 KB · Views: 4

Ron342

Premium Member
Thanks Jake, I wonder how you find time and patience for all these questions!
Ran the 77 test and got an ok. But I wonder if that is just a continuity test or to they really look to see if the value is within spec for the temp?
If I have to pull it all apart again I'll check the thermistor as well as the heater and if they are both good maybe i'll leave one of those temp recording pucks in the enclosure to see if the defrost is really getting cycled since there doesn't seem to be test aimed directly at the defrost heater. (Other than the ability to force a defrost)
For now I'm checking to be sure the freezer gets down to set temp.
Is there an actual service manual available for these?