• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRMF706ESS01 KitchenAid Refrigerator not cooling evap fan not working

RealMcCoy1968

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
KRMF706ESS01 refrigerator not cooling. Original owner bought in 2016 and we bought house in 2020. Its done this last year when power went out and all i had to do was unplug fridge and plug her back up....This time, not so lucky.
Called American home shield and of course I found out its not covered under our warranty.

I decided to disassemble it. First I checked the back to make sure the condenser fan was running along with the __________. Everything back there was fine. I then proceeded take everything inside apart until i found the issue. After watching videos and doing research, I was finally able to get it taken apart. The evaporator coils were frozen. The evap fan was not running. I got a hair dryer and started melting the ice away and the fan came on....weird. What was more weird was I was told that the evap fan should not come on with the doors open. I was thinking maybe it had a short in it so i put everything back together and came here to order the fan motor. So today, I disassembled it again and melted the ice that had formed since Sunday again and the fan would not work at all this time.
I was a little worried but I just got my new one in the mail. I installed it and relocated the thermistor per the service bulletin I found online.

Well, still nothing. i unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing still. Found a video on youtube that shows you how to check for faults on the keypad, so i did that. went to step 04 ( i think thats the right one for the evap fan and fan for the ice machine. there is a way to turn them both on at the same time to check it and only the ice machine fan will run. The evap fan will not and it throws a number 13 then 23 when i try to manually test it. I hear a clicking sound coming from wires going to a little compartment with foam on the front of it like its trying to cut on. I think that might be defrost or something...not sure. but its clicking when i try to manually turn on fan.
Im lost at this point.
I don't want to keep spending money because my wallet is tight right now. We have lost tons of food already and little kids are at home out of school now. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You are referring to the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR? Not the FREEZER EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR?

If you are referring to the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR Rick explains how to test it here:

For others following this thread--->They made a video of how to access that fan motor now. Click the link to the fan motor below and you will see a video of HOW TO access it.

Here's the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR for your model:
Evaporator Fan Motor W11087438

Also check inside the electrical connector of the FRESH FOOD EVAPORATOR FAN MOTOR and look for any burnt metal pins or pins that have backed out of the plastic electrical connector, another member found that was the case with theirs.
Look at post #7 here:

Jake