• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRMF706ESS01 KitchenAid Refrigerator not defrosting along with other strange problems

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
Model Number
KRMF706ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
A few months ago I noticed freezer was not keeping food frozen. Upon inspection, coils were completely iced up. Defrosted everything and worked fine for a week or two before froze up again. Called KitchenAid hoping it would be a warranty repair. After waiting a month for them to come out, they ran the diagnostic test and no problems were found so they replaced the fan / thermistor which took another month for them to come back out. This of course did not fix the problem.

Here's the strange part. When I first observed the problem, I found the service manual and ran the manual defrost which gave me the option of a short or long defrost. Now, the long defrost option no longer is an option, it just cycles between off and sh. I have been able to do some defrosting this way but ususally it's not effective.

Another strange problem, sometimes when trying to dispence water, the actuator clicks but no water, then a couple minutes later the water would start to flow - all over the floor.

As I'm sitting here trying this the coils are frozen up again and it's making it's usual noise of 7 clicks then a pause repeating endlessly.

I'm leaning toward replacing the main control board but wanted to make sure since it's a rather expensive part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi, you are correct, the problem is possibly the control board.

Here's the part you need:
Refrigerator Control Board WPW10675033

Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock everywhere.

Jake

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for the reply. I went ahead and replaced the control board. I noticed that the part number has been changed/updated. Not sure if that means anything.

Anyway, it's been a few days and the freezer is still not defrosting. I checked and I still don't have the option of a long defrost under #38 of the service diagnostic mode.

I haven't noticed any of the other strange problems but they don't happen all the time.

Any other thoughts besides throwing this thing off a cliff?

Thanks for any help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I noticed that the part number has been changed/updated. Not sure if that means anything.
That means everything, the correct OEM control board part number is the one I posted above.

Jake

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
Right, what I meant was I was curious if there is a reason why they updated the control board. I replaced the control board with the one that you linked to.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
This control board has been a main problem and they needed to update it.

Where did you buy it from? Since its been out-of-stock everywhere for months now?

Jake

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
I purchased it from appliancepartspros.com

When I placed the order it was out of stock but showed up a couple weeks later.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its best to contact KitchenAid at 1-800-422-1230 to have a tech come out see what's going on. This is a very unusual problem.

Jake

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
Went ahead and made an appointment. Earliest available is about 1 month from now.

If I ever get this figured out I'll follow up here.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Chip, thanks!

Jake

HorseWithNoSham

Premium Member
I'm having the exact same issues. Water dispenser flaking, occasional clicking noise and failing to defrost resulting in eventual failed cooling. I've read some of the other pages on here with simillar issues but most of them don't have a clear resolution.

I tested the resistance in my heating element. The meter shows 30ohms. So that seems good.
I thawed the freezer before running the diagnostic tests so now I have to wait for it to freeze to run those again.

One thing I don't understand is what is the evaporator thermistor for vs. what is the defrost thermostat for?

Also, how are people testing the thermistor? It is inline to the evaporator fan. Are you just pushing a metal pin down in alongside the lead in the connectors?

I'm trying to definitively rule out the thermistor and the thermostat before buying a new board.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you have the exact same model number KRMF706ESS01 ? You can read it from the model number tag, which should be located in the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Which evaporator coil is this happening to? The refrigerator evaporator coil, or the freezer evaporator coil?

Also, how are people testing the thermistor? It is inline to the evaporator fan. Are you just pushing a metal pin down in alongside the lead in the connectors?
Use this safety pin trick:

safety pin 500x250.jpg

HorseWithNoSham

Premium Member
I do have the exact same model. It is the freezer coil. (Does the refrigerator have a coil on this machine? Looks like it just blows air from the freezer).

I will try the pin trick next time I have it apart.

Are these the thermistors

Attachments

• PXL_20220531_160700878.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20220531_160700878.NIGHT.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 22

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
(Does the refrigerator have a coil on this machine? Looks like it just blows air from the freezer).
Yes, it does. Here's the parts diagram for your model:

Are these the thermistors
No, on your model its integrated into the freezer evaporator fan motor. I circled it in RED.
(click to enlarge)
PXL_20220531_160700878.NIGHT.jpg

By the way, is the freezer evaporator fan motor running?

I'm attaching your tech. data sheet below, Do Service Test - 77 Defrost Thermistor--->The board will check the resistance value of the thermistor and display (01 = PASS, 02 = OPEN, 03 = SHORT)

For others following this thread--->This video should give you the general idea of how to remove the back panel inside the freezer:

Here's the FC fan motor assembly for your model below, See the brass looking thermistor bulb with the clip on it in the photo below? That's your defrost thermistor.

On this model the defrost thermistor comes only with the FC evaporator fan motor assembly. Its in-stock here: W11249952

Jake

Attachments

• W10844356-RevA.pdf
    516.1 KB · Views: 12

HorseWithNoSham

Premium Member
Just got a new clue. The unit started making that clicking noise it does on occasion. I ran in and ran the thermistor tests (tests 01 and 02). Neither shows any result whatsoever. The display blinks the test number several times and then becomes blank. Test 06 still shows as passing.

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
Repair guy from kitchaid is coming in a couple days. Hopefully he can figure it out. Getting tired of defrosting the freezer every week.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Just got a new clue. The unit started making that clicking noise it does on occasion. I ran in and ran the thermistor tests (tests 01 and 02). Neither shows any result whatsoever. The display blinks the test number several times and then becomes blank. Test 06 still shows as passing.
Its best to contact KitchenAid to come out and see what's going on, you have a odd situation on yours.

Repair guy from kitchaid is coming in a couple days. Hopefully he can figure it out. Getting tired of defrosting the freezer every week.
Sounds good, let us know what they find.

Jake

ChipDouglas95

Premium Member
Okay, so technician came out last week and identified a blown inline fuse. After bypassing it, the heating element came on and started to defrost. It has been a few days and the refrigerator seems to be defrosting itself as it should. He ordered a new wiring harness which has the fuse and will install it when it arrives.

Since replacing the circuit board, I haven't had any of the other wonky problems I've described in my previous post.

Fuse.jpg

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
A few months ago I noticed freezer was not keeping food frozen. Upon inspection, coils were completely iced up. Defrosted everything and worked fine for a week or two before froze up again. Called KitchenAid hoping it would be a warranty repair. After waiting a month for them to come out, they ran the diagnostic test and no problems were found so they replaced the fan / thermistor which took another month for them to come back out. This of course did not fix the problem.
Interesting, because that inline thermal fuse you take a photo of above comes with that FC evaporator fan motor assembly I posted in post #14. So it makes no sense how it can fail so some again, I've replaced many of these for my customers and never got a call back.

Lets see after they replace it again, if it blows out again quickly.

Jake