• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRSC503 KitchenAid Refrigerator - Water dispensing when pushing Ice paddle

lakeside

Model Number
KRSC503
Brand
KitchenAid
Water dispenses (from the water dispenser) when first pushing the ice paddle. Re-pushing the ice paddle dispenses ice correctly. I have tried disconnecting power and turning off the ice maker. Anything I can do myself?

Mcpatty

Premium Member
We have the same problem. Had the Dispensing board replaced, but sadly that did not fix the problem. The technician said we needed to either replace both paddles for about $250 plus labor or replace the circuit for about $300, plus labor. Since he didn’t know which one would fix the problem we decided not to do either. You are the first person I’ve been able to find on the Internet that has the same problem. We called KitchenAid and they said they never heard of it and they were no use. So now we are living with it by first pressing the water paddle for few seconds with our cup underneath it and then pressing the ice paddle, which now will dispense only ice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Usually it's just the paddle that you need, what is your complete model number of your refrigerator? The model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Does your model have 1 paddle for both the ice and water? Or 2 paddles for each ice and water?

Sorry @lakeside we must of missed your thread back in June.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
KRSC503ESS00 shows only one paddle for both ice and water.

Please take a photo of your model number tag and your two paddles.

Here's the parts diagram for your model:
#12 is the only paddle it shows.

Jake

Mcpatty

Premium Member
There are the pics you requested.

Attachments

• A0F4D773-C0C0-4EE5-981B-88C3BC9CEE46.jpeg
    A0F4D773-C0C0-4EE5-981B-88C3BC9CEE46.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 5F3591C0-6615-4CD6-8926-D41B82BECA76.jpeg
    5F3591C0-6615-4CD6-8926-D41B82BECA76.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 129

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, That is very strange.

What did the tech say to why there is only one paddle showing on the parts diagram?

Did he find BOTH paddle part numbers? If so, we need those part numbers. If he didn't say, please call him and ask him.

Jake

Mcpatty

Premium Member
The tech that came out said the problem could either be solved by two new paddles or a new circuit board. I cannot spend that. Ugh money on a “maybe” answer. i just spend $300 on a whole new freezer door about a year ago ( paid for labor only) and now this problem. This refrigerator is a piece of crap! Unless I hear a definitive answer that will solve this problem, I will not spend another penny on it.

Mcpatty

Premium Member
The tech did not look at a diagram of it. He said he looked up the cost of the paddles and they were about $125 each.

Piperco

Premium Member
Hi! I know this thread is a few months old. I am having the same issue on my refrigerator as well. Has anyone found a resolution to the problem?
Appreciate the help!
Thanks!
Evan

greenurry

Fortunately this happened while still under warranty. When I spoke to the repair company the technician knew exactly what was wrong and ordered both new paddles. He said they short out, and replaced both in case there was a defect in the water dispenser as well. Took off the dispenser panel, replaced both paddles and reassembled. Took 10 minutes. You don't HAVE to replace both, he just did since there was no cost to me and didn't want me to have a problem with the other paddle later.

davidpwalther

Premium Member
I had the same problem of a bit of water coming out of the water dispenser when pressed the ice pad first. What stopped it for me was doing a "Measured Fill" located on the taskbar far right . Since using that function for one glass and waiting until it cleared the screen, I can hit the ice pad first without water coming out of the water dispenser. I have a Kitchen Aid KRSC503ESS.

Mcpatty

Premium Member
Are you saying that the problem stopped altogether or it stopped because before you press the ice paddle, you press the water paddle first every time? That is what we do now. I don’t want to spend any more money fixing this POS!

davidpwalther

Premium Member
I know what your saying because I used to do that prior to ice, but for the time being it works to run through the measured fill just one time. then if you want ice use the usual pad press for ice first and then the water without water running a little bit also when you press ice first. I only did the measured fill one time separately.

Mcpatty

Premium Member
I know what your saying because I used to do that prior to ice, but for the time being it works to run through the measured fill just one time. then if you want ice use the usual pad press for ice first and then the water without water running a little bit also when you press ice first. I only did the measured fill one time separately.
What do mean by running through the measured fill exactly? I always get water by the measured feature

Randogg

Premium Member
We have exactly this same problem. The tech said it's the paddle switches and that you can "clean" them and they will work for a while or replace them and they will work for a few years.

I've tried to get the paddles and touch screen off but can't figure it out and I haven't found it on youtube yet.

Anyone know how to get to the paddle switches?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Ran,

We need the model number of your refrigerator, the model number tag is located inside the refrigerator section on the upper walls or ceiling.

Jake

Randogg

Premium Member
Hi Jake,
My model is the same as the above, MOD.: KRSC503ESS00. Serial number is SER.: HR61108908.

Regards,
Randy