• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRSC503ESS00 Ice maker not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asmodion

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSC503ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
My 14 month old KitchenAid side-by-side ice maker has failed. Before doing anything else, I replaced both the ice maker assembly and the pair of valves as they were fairly inexpensive. This did not remedy the situation, sadly. At present if I run diagnostic cycle 44, I can see the ice maker tray turn to dump ice (there is no ice), and it visibly flexes the tray a bit (by design I assume). It then stays put at the "dumped" position and never returns back to "home". At this point status digits 2 (ice maker harvesting cycle is OFF) and 3 (Switch faulty or motor) are lit. If I then run the water fill test (#45), the tray moves back to the "home" position, but then remains with status of 01 (ice tray moving to home position). It seems like there must be a switch that's not getting flipped somewhere to tell it when home has been reached and when dumping has been done, but I would have assumed this would be part of the ice maker assembly that I just replaced.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am very regretful that I filled my home with a bunch of kitchenaid appliances all at once, because every indication is they're all junk.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

What was the original problem with your ice maker?

Here's the ice maker for your model:
W10873791 Ice Maker

Jake

Asmodion

Premium Member
The original problem was that it would not make ice, I suspect it had gotten jammed up at some point and killed itself trying to dump ice. Hopefully this fixes the problem. I had also noticed the extra ice mode actually resulted in zero ice, so I guess that may have been a related problem but I'll worry about that once I get back to producing any ice at all.

Asmodion

Premium Member
A new twist however is that the ice door will open when you activate it, but the motor to dispense the ice won't start. Do I need a control board?

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
I no you have the tech sheet but I found a service pointer on the ice maker that may help you guys.

Attachments

• KRSC503ESS00 Service and Wiring Sheet - W10751694 - Rev A.pdf
    790 KB · Views: 1,497
  • Training Pointer W10869036 - Sankyo Twist Tray Ice Maker.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,171

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

motor to dispense the ice won't start.
Wait, I thought you said the ice maker wasn't working?

You have ice but it won't dispense because the auger motor is not running?

Lets check for the easiest problem that it can be first, lots of members have found frayed and broken wires causing the ice maker/and or auger motor to be dead. Remove your bottom kickplate grille, Remove the black wire harness loom too, broken wires can be underneath it.

Another member was having a similar problem here: FIXED: GSF26C4EXY02 Whirlpool Gold Ice Maker Problem Look at his post #6 he found frayed and broken wires underneath the freezer door, remove your kickplate and check for that first.

Here's another one with the same thing about the frayed and broken wires: FIXED: 106.51173310 Kenmore elite ice maker not working - no led light

Here's another: FIXED: Whirlpool WSF26C2EXF01 Door Icemaker Not Working

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Asmodion

Premium Member
1. original issue - no ice - replaced ice maker and valves, still no ice
2. it was suggested that i had a faulty replacement ice maker - so bought one from here and installed - no change in behavior.
3. we have been buying ice and filling the ice bucket with bag ice, the issue now is the auger won't turn when you push to dispense ice, the door does open.

I will take a look at wires to see if anything looks broken... the behavior of the ice maker turning and stopping, then sort of trying to finish emptying is a little weird. It definitely has power but seems like something in the controller is off. I can perhaps take a short video to show the various behaviors and post that later on if you think that might help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Since you are having multiple problems now, check for broken wires first. Its extremely uncommon for both of these problems to crop up at once, or to crop up one right after the other.

If the wires are not frayed or broken continue on below.

For the ice dispenser auger motor: Check for 140 volts DC at P3-7(blue wire) P3-8(gray wire) on you main control board when you are activating the ice dispenser.

If the voltage reading is incorrect, replace the main board: WPW10743957 Cntrl-Elec

For the ice maker: Yes, you can upload the video to Youtube and post the Youtube link here. Or share your video per Google Drive, Dropbox, or Microsoft OneDrive and post the share link here.

bigbuck posted the tech. service data sheet and the ice maker tech data sheet. You will need to do what it mentions to pinpoint the problem.

NOTE: Always refer to the refrigerators Technical Data Sheet when servicing.
NOTE: It is necessary to enter Service Diagnostics to verify voltages for the Ice Maker.

Service Diagnostics
Functional checks of all components required for proper operation of the IM can be completed through Service Diagnostics. Refer to the Service sheet for the refrigerator for instructions on operating Service Diagnostics.
NOTE: Diagnostic Step 48 – Icemaker – Ice Bucket Detection Switch – Does Not Work

Troubleshooting Paths
Complete the preliminary checks prior to troubleshooting. Then proceed down the appropriate path.
Path 1 - If there is ice or water in the ice tray, proceed to Path 1.
Path 2 - If the ice tray is empty, or ice cubes are extremely small proceed to Path 2.
Path 3 – If Path 1 and 2 reveal no issues, proceed to Path 3.

--->Preliminary Checks start on Page 7 of the ice maker tech data sheet bigbuck posted above.(Training Pointer W10869036 - Sankyo Twist Tray Ice Maker.pdf)
--->Path 1 starts on Page 8 of the ice maker tech data sheet bigbuck posted above.(Training Pointer W10869036 - Sankyo Twist Tray Ice Maker.pdf)

Jake

Asmodion

Premium Member
Well... Looks like 3 wires are broken down at the hard plastic wrapped bundle of wires coming up at the hinge (the hard plastic wrap is broken). White, green+yellow and blue are all fully broken off and hanging, and it looks like a yellow one is well on the way there as the insulation has several cracks in it. This seems sort of dangerous to potentially have 120v live wires hanging off the fridge... Any idea if this would be covered under warranty outside of the first year? If this isn't a manufacturer defect / engineering fail then I don't know what is.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good find!

Thanks for the update!

Any idea if this would be covered under warranty outside of the first year?
You'd have to call KitchenAid and find out 1-800-422-1230

Since its only 14 months old I don't see why not, they have what's called a "Courtesy Service Call" when its just out of the warranty.

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.