• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KRSC503ESS01 Kitchenaid side by side - icing on refrigerator side evaporator coil

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Looks like they fixed that broken wire issue, I've never seen them put that plastic clip to hold the wire harness there before. None of other refrigerators with the broken wires had that plastic clip.

So yours should be fine.

Jake

plainv7

Premium Member
I also thought that clip might be an attempt at a fix, then I took another look at Grandinetti's post showing a Kenmore Elite by Whirlpool. It looks identical to my KitchenAid:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then maybe not.:)

But I wouldn't worry about it unless the wires break.:)

Not all of these wires break in these models.

Jake

PCT

Premium Member
Sorry for the delay, we had house guests so I had to wait to do the fridge defrost/cleanout.

Pulled the thermistor that the tech previously installed and tested it. Was ok at room temperature but when placed in ice water the resistance did not change significantly. Had two other thermistors on hand as controls for the test. So I replaced it with a new one, hopefully will do the trick.

Did not have any ice available for the thermistor test so I improvised with some frozen lentil soup. Photo attached below, for your amusement. Good times!

Didn't manage to test the fan voltage.

Yeah, that wiring harness is a disaster too. At first it affected the auger motor. Now the ice maker has stopped making ice at all. Maybe time to splice those wires?

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Pulled the thermistor that the tech previously installed and tested it. Was ok at room temperature but when placed in ice water the resistance did not change significantly. Had two other thermistors on hand as controls for the test. So I replaced it with a new one, hopefully will do the trick.
Yes, the new thermistor should fix it.:)

Yeah, that wiring harness is a disaster too. At first it affected the auger motor. Now the ice maker has stopped making ice at all. Maybe time to splice those wires?
Yes, time to start the solder iron.:)

Let us know how it goes.

Jake

MattC19

Premium Member
Jake:

We have a Kitchenaid KRSC503ESS01 DOM:201803 that also started to ice up on the refrigerator side coils last week. [1.5 years old]

I tested the thermistor as described through the wiring harness P8 and after being in a cup of ice water for 5.5 min. [10.2k ohms]. The fan is cycling seemingly as normal.

After defrosting the coils the ice will build up on the coils again in 2-3 days.
I noticed that the thermistor is clamped from the factory to the coil where Plainv7 also originally found his. Can you confirm that the thermistor position is incorrect and is potentially causing the icing problem? If so I will reposition the thermistor to the other side where Plainv7 also put his. Or should we replace them thermistor and install it at the same position as the factory did?

Thank you

Attachments

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Whirlpool mentions to relocate the thermistor.

whirlpool tech pointer thermistor pic.jpg

Relocate it there and put the evaporator cover back in place and see how it does.:)

Jake

MattC19

Premium Member
Thank you for the confirmation. I will move the thermistor to the other side and monitor. Thank you

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good Matt, let us know if that fixes it.

Jake

plainv7

Premium Member
Thank you for the confirmation. I will move the thermistor to the other side and monitor. Thank you
Carefully adjust the clip holding the thermistor to the coil to ensure that there is metal to metal contact between the thermistor and the coil. Warning: the thermistor is fragile, be very careful not to squeeze it when tightening the clip. I added a zip tie just to be sure.