• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRSC503ESS01 - Kitchenaid Side by Side - Refrigerator Coil Icing

Eldon

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSC503ESS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello!

I have a Kitchenaid KRSC503ESS01 that has recently been giving me a hard time with the refrigerator coils icing up.

Originally when it came with the house I was having problems with the water dispenser not working due to the water reservoir near the coils becoming frozen. The technicians resolved this by configuring the defrost mode setting to "basic" which causes to to defrost every few hours instead of automatically - and for the last 2 years it's worked fine.

Over the last few months, the coils on the fridge have iced up several times (there is no issue with the freezer). Initially I defrosted it, and it would work for a few weeks - but each time I defrosted it, it would freeze again sooner and sooner until eventually it only took 2-3 days for ice to become visible through the interior panel. I used the service manual and confirmed that all of the sensors were reporting normal. At this point, I called a technician who replaced the thermistor on the coil (he did not test it) to see if that would clear the condition; and to be honest - it worked for about 3 weeks which was much longer than before; but sure enough the frost came back.

I opened up the panel and defrosted it again; as well as came across the thread here:
Which indicated the thermistor was located in the wrong place; so I moved it from the high-pressure side to the suction side of the coil and secured it with a zip-tie so that it is in full contact.

Again however; the fridge coil froze. I have noticed however that immediately after defrosting it, the fridge will turn on and the evap fan will run. However, in the days/weeks after I made special note to catch if that fan was running - and besides the first day I've never been able to hear the fridge evap fan run. It does run when I manually apply power using service menu 3, however. This makes me think it's likely a second broken thermistor that is causing the problem - perhaps it's not detecting the coil is cold enough to turn the evap fan on?

I'm going to need to need to defrost this again this weekend - but while I have it pulled apart and given I've had the thermistor replaced - are there any other ideas of what I can try?

Thank you!

Eldon

Premium Member
To add one more thing; I have noticed right when it's starting to frost up - when I open the door first thing in the morning - both a fridge thermometer and my laser thermometer will register between 30 and 32 degrees in the fridge even though the temperature is set to 39 degrees and the compressor will still be running - but neither the freezer nor the fridge evap fan will be on. A 10 degree swing seems off; so perhaps it's possible the air thermometer in the fridge has an issue? I haven't been able to find good steps on the best way to test that.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

Ok, from that thread you will need to ohm test that thermistor to see if its good, read post #2:

Jake

Eldon

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I got to working on this tonight and the thermistor was testing at 8.5ohms when put into some ice water.

I had a thought; so I put the fridge into service mode 4 which tests the compressor, fans, and valve; this is what I found:
01 - Initialize Dual Evap Value in Home - Fridge coil: 21 degrees
02 - Close both RC and FC dual evap valve - Fridge Coil: 22 degrees
03 - Turn compressor on - Fridge Coil: 21 degrees
04 - Keep compressor on, drive valve to RC and turn on RC fan - Fridge Coil temp went up initially to about 45 degrees, then dropped to 35 degrees and stayed there
05 - Keep compressor on, drive valve to FC position and turn FC fan on - Fridge coil started diving down to 12 degrees and held before I finally advanced the menu.

It would seem to me the compressor valve is bad. What do you think?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I agree 100%.

Jake