• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRSF505ESS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator Ice Maker Stopped Working

JasNW

Premium Member
Model Number
KRSF505ESS00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

The ice maker in this side-by-side, located in the door, stopped making ice a few weeks ago. After some fiddling around I replaced the icemaker with W11130210 / AP6261899, the toggle on/off switch in the door that controls the production of ice, and the rocker-arm switch that senses if the ice bucket is in and in the closed position. This changed the behavior so that it made ice once, then stopped for a day or so, and made ice again, which has pretty much been the behavior for over a week. The temperature in the freezer section is set to the default. When it’s between these ice-making events the tray is empty of water for much of the time. I’m about to pull the refrigerator out of its cubby to see what’s going on around the back, and I’d be open to suggestions of what else to try.

I’ve not tried running the service diagnostic mode because I’m not sure how that works. I found the service sheet, but I’m not certain how to interpret what it’s telling me.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member

JasNW

Premium Member
Rick,

Oops, my mistake. What you showed is what I installed. The P# I quoted in my original was one I had been (mistakenly) looking at early in this process. I should also note that the water dispenser is still working fine, and I replaced the water filter about five weeks ago. The ice maker was working just fine after I replaced the filter.

rickgburton

Staff member
KRSF505.jpg

To ENTER SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE: Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds.

Release both buttons when you hear the CHIME indicator.

Unit must not be in Lockout prior to entering SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC MODE.

The display will show 01 to indicate the control is in test 1 of the diagnostics routine.

To EXIT SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS MODE: Press SW1 and SW2 simultaneously for 3 seconds, disconnect the product from power or wait 20 minutes. Following the exit of the diagnostic mode, the controls will then resume normal operation.

Each test must be manually advanced.

Press SW5 to move to the next test in the sequence.

Press SW4 to back up in the sequence to the previous test.

Diagnostics will begin at Test 01.

Each test is displayed in the two digits of the dispenser user interface display.

The test results are displayed in the two digits on dispenser user interface display 2 seconds after the test number is displayed.

An amber order filter light will be shown to designate that the test number is being displayed

A red replace filter light will be shown to designate that the status of the test is being displayed.

Make sure the ice bucket is not full and go to test #44

Test #44- Sankyo Ice maker Harvest Test
Use the "Change Settings " key to start a harvest cycle. NOTE: System should not come out of this test unless the harvest cycle completed.

Digit 1:
1= Ice maker harvest cycle is ON.
2=Ice maker harvest cycle is OFF

Digit 2:
1= Ice bucket full detected
2= Ice bucket not full detected
3= Switch or motor faulty

JasNW

Premium Member
I ran the diagnostic, but I'm not sure I have a valid result. The code that came up for test 44 was 23, which would indicate that a switch or motor is faulty (which ones?). However, I don't know what the "Change Settings" key is or how to use it to start a harvest cycle. That might have invalidated the test result.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK, I'll see if I can find the tech sheet for your model. The one I was using is for KRSC503. Look on your tech sheet and see what it says. Post a copy of the tech sheet and wiring diagram here in case I can't locate it.

rickgburton

Staff member
Hmm... that's the same tech sheet as the one I was using. I would say the new ice maker is the problem. Is it new? Where did you get it? Can you exchange it?

JasNW

Premium Member
The behavior with the new one is identical to the original. Would seem like the problem was elsewhere. I'll look at what the return/exchange policy is.

rickgburton

Staff member
OK go back into service mode and run test #45. That's the fill valve test for the ice maker. It could be an intermittent valve issue. Did you check the bucket switch and on off switch to see if they were good and not intermittent?

JasNW

Premium Member
I've run tests 44-48 with the following results:
44: 2 3
45: 02
46: 00 (not pertinent)
47: 11
48: 01

I'm still not sure that the results from test 44 are valid. Back to the question of how to "use the CHANGE SETTING KEY" mentioned in the service sheet for this diagnostic test.

The results of #45 is interesting, but it is also tied to the CHANGE SETTING KEY step in #44 for a successful test. The results of #48 shows that the bucket switch (which I replaced earlier) is working. I'm hearing no movement in the ice maker or any water flowing during any of the tests. No sounds whatsoever.

It comes down to what CHANGE SETTING KEY means and how to do it.

(by the way, thanks for your help and patience!)
Jim

JasNW

Premium Member
I may have discovered that the setting key may be SW3, at least when I pressed it after the start of test #44 things began happening. The display changed from 23 to 1 and motor noise started (ice maker, I'm pretty sure). The display then changed to 12, and then back to 23. In trying test #45, however, after quickly flashing 2 the display changed immediately to 1 and stayed there. There was a bit of motor noise at the onset of this test, but when it stopped the display remained at 1 indicated that the tray is moving to home position. All the other test results remain the same. At no point did I hear the noise of running water. Additionally, the ice maker has made no new ice now in several days, when it was previously making a new batch every 24-36 hours.

I'm starting to suspect the water flow to the ice maker (water flow to the water dispenser is fine). Not sure about the next step.

rickgburton

Staff member
In test 45 use SW3 to toggle the water fill between on and paused. #44- goes back to 23, ice maker switch or motor. Everything else checks good. I'm back to exchanging the ice maker.

JasNW

Premium Member
I tried using SW3 during test 45 but it didn't do anything. That's in line with the comment in the service sheet that it will be ignored if the status shown for the test is 01 (which it is). I'm going to dink around with removing and reinstalling parts tomorrow and recheck all the water lines to see if anything changes its mind, then your suggestion sounds like the next step. It just seems odd that the new unit will misbehave in the same way that the original part did. Suggests either something else is the problem, or some other problem zapped the first ice maker and then zapped the new one after I installed it. At least this is just the ice maker and not the entire unit being kaput.

rickgburton

Staff member
If it never changes from the 01 to 02 then the IM motor is not moving it into the home position. That makes me think the water valve is probably OK and again we're back to the IM. Check for a loose or almost broken wire in one of the IM connections. That would cause the two ice makers to have the same problem.

JasNW

Premium Member
Check wiring is on the agenda. Now I just have to fit this work into other items on my "honey do" list.