• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KRSF505ESS00: RC gets cold/warm inconsistently while FC is working fine.

v8power

Premium Member
I think you need to have a refrigeration tech check the sealed system.
Thank you. I scheduled a tech to come out next week (earliest appointment).

But, now the fridge is consistently getting down to my set target of 34 degrees F (then drifts up to 39 and cools back down to 34). I'm worried the tech will come out to tell me nothing's wrong.

To recap, here's what we did

1) Stopped opening RC door so much.
2) Removed excess dust from condenser coils.
3) Cleared RC drain pipe and cleaned and dried cabinet. Prior to this, there was so much moisture in the cabinet that the walls were dripping wet and the lower led light got flooded (even though it appears it's supposed to be sealed).

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
I must be missing something. Isn't that an average 36.5°F? 37°F is normal. ??

v8power

Premium Member
I must be missing something. Isn't that an average 36.5°F? 37°F is normal. ??
Agreed: would a tech just say it's working fine, now? BTW, the recommended setting is 37, but I have set the fridge to 34 degrees F.

A couple weeks ago the fridge was stuck in the 50's and 40's and 6 months ago it was stuck in the 40's. I'm not exactly sure why it got stuck there, and I'm wondering if a tech will come here just to say nothing is wrong as it's currently operating.

v8power

Premium Member
The unit experienced poor cooling temporarily, again, this time for a day and a half. This time I noticed both freezer and fridge cooling weren't being maintained.

Every time this happens, I see this pattern:

1) temp gets out of range and doesn't recover in 24 hours
2) compressor sounds quieter than normal and runs 100% of the time while limping along trying to cool
3) once I finally hear the compressor kick on loud (which is actually pretty quiet), cooling performance returns and is maintained until next time

Why isn't the compressor kicking on full speed sooner in these cases?

I decided to check compressor windings with ohm meter. Compressor was very warm/hot to the touch. I measured 8.6 ohms across all 3 pairs of the 3 terminals. The spec sheet says Run to Common should be 5.1 Ohms +- 8% @ 77 degrees F and Start to Common should be 5.7 Ohms +- 8% @ 77 degrees F. Since it was hot, do my numbers indicate a problem?

Sealed system parts are warranted for 10 years, but tech can't come out for 10 days when I call. The machine would likely be cooling, again, in that time. Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you!

v8power

Premium Member
The service sheet was wrong! I looked up the specs for my compressor (VEGD6H) directly from Embraco, and the resistances of the Run and Start windings are supposed to be 7.69 Ohms @ 77 degrees F each. I let my compressor cool down (to just barely warm), and I measured 7.9 Ohms. I'm guessing my compressor is fine.

Interestingly, the fridge worked much better when I restarted it with the cooler compressor. Specifically, the fridge section is now being kept at an average exactly at my set temperature. I've seen this for several cycles, and I never saw this performance before - it always ran at an average several degrees higher than my target since I started monitoring it.

I guess that performance will fade away tomorrow. Perhaps I'm a bit low on refrigerant?