• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KSCS23FTSS02 Water dispenser spontaneously gushes water

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS23FTSS02
Brand
KitchenAid
Two days ago, the water dispenser stopped dispensing water on our Kitchenaid side by side refrigerator. Yesterday we removed the front dispenser panel to look for any obvious damage. After unplugging and replugging the wires from the water and ice switch pads to the control board, water started dispensing normally with everything back in place.

I changed the filter since things appeared normal again. Everything seemed good at that point. Then a few hours later, water started dispensing full force from the water dispenser and would not stop. My husband had to open the freezer door to stop the water since it was getting all over the floor. Closing the door it would spontaneously gush water again randomly. We held down the lock button to activate the dispenser lock. Lock seemed to work but we could not disable the lock no matter what we tried. Holding the lock button would cause it to say “locking” again and the button would be lit red. We had to shut the power to the fridge to disable the lock. We didn’t want water to get all over during the night so we turned off the water to the fridge.
With the style of pad switch it was not clear how to test the switches themselves. Now with the locking feature not working as well it seems like maybe a control board issue?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Disconnect the water dispenser paddle wire and see if water gushing out still.

Jake

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Thanks for the quick response. Before I do that, are there any other troubleshooting steps that I should try after? I’m going to have to pull the fridge out to turn the water back on to test this and would be good to get all testing done at that time. Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
No because when you remove that water dispenser paddle wire and if NO water comes gushing out, then it should narrow it down to just that water dispenser paddle that's bad.

Here's the paddle kit for your model:
W10133606 Pad

Jake

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Testing now with the water paddle disconnected. So far no gushing of water, not sure how long to wait to confirm. I noticed that the ice (cube or crushed), lock and filter buttons are no longer responding. Are these tied to the water paddle switch being unplugged?

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Still no gushing, but the ice, lock and filter buttons are working again with no changes made. Not sure why they weren’t responding earlier.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then you will need to order the paddles I posted above, is that the correct color of your paddles? They do have a different color if needed.:)

Here's the other color:
W10133603 Pad

Jake

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Thanks I’ll give this a try. Hopefully they come with instructions on how to remove and install from the plastic front panel? I will need to replace with the black color paddles, I think that’s the second link you sent?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, this is the black ones:
W10133603 Pad

I haven't replaced these before, so unfortunately I don't have the steps to do it, I can ask our other tech bigbuck if he has the service manual for this model that would show you how.

Jake

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Something that I just confirmed, our ice dispenser is now not dispensing ice. When I press the paddle, you can hear the crank grinding, and there is new ice being made, as I emptied everything yesterday. There's not a lot of ice yet, like a couple of trays. I also went through some diagnostic service sheet on the dispenser, and for the ice door motor step 14, it cycled through the Closed "0", Door Opening "1", then Door Open "2" but not one bit of ice dropped from the bucket into the glass, no matter how long I pushed the paddle. Then after I stopped pushing the paddle, it went to "3" Door Closing. Could this be a coincidence, and the paddle for ice is also bad? Or is something else wrong, like the control board?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
From reading your post #10, if you empty the ice bucket, you have to wait at least till the ice bucket fills up again, at least enough for the auger to dispense the ice out into your glass, running the auger motor without ice in the ice bucket will make it do that.

Give it overnight, then see if you ice dispenser dispenses ice.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Rick, what do you think?

Jake

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Yes, if there's only a couple cubes in the ice bucket it won't dispense them. And... if you dump a bag of ice from the store in there it won't dispense them either (from customer experience).

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
I’ve got the paddles ordered but in the mean time, is it bad the water is turned off at the wall for the fridge? I also turned off the ice maker using the switch in the freezer compartment. One tech told me I should unplug the power to the water inlet valve just in case if it keeps getting activated somehow it won’t burn out. Is that necessary?

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Thanks! I had forgotten to turn off the ice maker during the night a few days during my testing period. I hope that didn’t cause any issues.

ChocolateCake

Premium Member
Ok so I installed the new paddles for both the ice and water dispensers and the water is working fine now! Thank you!

Only problem is the ice dispenser is still not dispensing the newly made ice. When I press the switch I can hear the motor cranking the metal thing stirring the ice around, but no ice actually drops out. The ice bucket is now full. Any ideas?