• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSCS23INBL01 KitchenAid Refrigerator Faint Clicking Sound and Whirring Fan Sound

scott_l_lawson

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS23INBL01
Brand
KitchenAid
I saw a similar article:
but this is for a different model and I wonder if this is the same thing for my issue? How can I diagnose to order the right parts to fix myself? The Fridge seems like the correct temp, but the freezer is around 7-10 degrees F and the sound it coming from the freezer side, It seems. The sound of the fan or whatever is the prominent sound and it does no happen all of the time, but in a cycle.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
What temperature do you have the freezer control setting at? Turn it to the coldest setting and see what happens.

So the fan in the freezer is clicking or surging?

Jake

scott_l_lawson

Premium Member
I had it set to zero, so I can change it to -6 at the most. Yes, the fan in the freezer is surging and when it turns off / on there is a slight click. The sound seems to be coming from the top of the freezer.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
So did the temperature drop lower down at -6 degrees?

The evaporator fan motor in the freezer surging is usually caused by the control board starting to go bad. And it going to cost more to fix than its worth, especially if its not getting to 0 degrees in the freezer, your compressor may be starting to wear out as well.

They don't make the control board for your model anymore, only a SERVICE KIT now, and its expensive.

Here's the SERVICE KIT for your model you can order:
W10823804 Electronic Control Board Service Kit

Its would be more wise to save the repair money for a new refrigerator, IMO.

Jake

scott_l_lawson

Premium Member
OK, thank you for the advice. It never got to -6 and looking at the temp control display in the fridge portion it reset to 0 at some point. I have a service appointment set up for later in the week with a service company schedule via the KitchenAid website. Any thought if that is worth it, just to confirm?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Any thought if that is worth it, just to confirm?
Worth what? I don't understand what you are asking?

You mean pay $100 for the tech to come out to tell you the same thing I'm telling you for free? If that gives you peace of mind, then yes go for it.:)

Jake

scott_l_lawson

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Apologies if I offended, I appreciate the free help.(y) I meant that I was wondering if there is something to do to keep this darn thing working for the next 3 weeks while the new fridge comes. I have to get a very specific model, it is "cabinet depth" and has to be less than 69" tall because of the way the kitchen is made. So there are not many fridges in stock like that so will take until mid-October to get here.

Now the fridge is sounding different, chirping a lot and the display panel inside is kind of dimming. Do you think it might working (even tho the freezer is above zero until the new one gets here? Or is there a possibility it will limp along? Thanks for any advice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Do you think it might working (even tho the freezer is above zero until the new one gets here? Or is there a possibility it will limp along?
That I don't know.

Jake