• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KSCS23INSS00 KitchenAid Refrigerator not cooling...beeping sound coming from bottom rear of unit

DynamiteHack

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS23INSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
The refrigerator is not cooling enough. The freezer seems fine. There is a beeping sound coming from the rear of the fridge which appears to be related to the door that opens and closes between the freezer and fridge. I disconnected this vent and the beeping pattern changed to a steady beep.
Any ideas??
Thanks,
'hack

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi hack,

There should be a tech. data sheet behind your bottom kickplate grille, that has diagnostics you can run on that air baffle vent, hook it back up and run that diagnostics to see if the air baffle vent opens.

Here's the air baffle vent for your model:
WP2220377 Air-Baffle

Jake

DynamiteHack

Premium Member
I just defrosted the frozen coils I found behind the back plate in the freezer compartment. Could the defrost timer or thermostat be the problem? The beeping sound coincides with the defrost fan trying to start...any ideas?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Did you find the tech. data sheet to run the diagnostics on everything then?

Jake

DynamiteHack

Premium Member
So, I tried running the diagnostic process. Not sure how long it is supposed to diagnose step 1 and 2 which is FC Thermistor and the RC thermistor. It says the Main Controller board will check these items automatically. As I progressed through them they displayed a value of 1 which says it passed. Step 3 is the Evaporator fan motor which started the beeping again and I could see the fan trying to start. The beep matches the movement of the fan exactly. I tried step 4 and could hear a buzzing noise behind the fridge. This is for the Condenser Fan Motor. If that is the big fan at the bottom rear of the unit, it does not start. I also noticed that the condensor itself is very hot to the touch. The front of the refrigerator, where the doors seal is also very hot...not sure what behind that...any ideas?

The coils are beginning to freeze over again...

Started the diagnostic mode once again. On step 3, the evaporator fan motor, I spun the fan while it was trying to start. The fan started spinning on its own and the beeping stopped. It seems that the fan is having problems starting up. Everything elsed seemed to check out okay. The heater coil started to melt the ice when I got to that step, even though the display indicated that "Defrost Heater Energized/Bi-Metal Open" According to the instructions, I would need to bypass the bi-metal to test the heater. Not sure what that means...

The baffle door opened correctly in diagnostic mode as well as the condenser fan in the back. The compressor did not really make any noise when I selected that test, but I could see it kind of bouncing around, indicating that it was doing something...

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I see whats going on now, your main relay control board is malfunctioning, that controls both fan motors.

This board has been a problem on these models for a couple years now, in fact they no longer make these boards new anymore, they offer service kits now.

Here's the SERVICE KIT for your model you can order:
W10823804 Electronic Control Board Service Kit

Jake

DynamiteHack

Premium Member
That is a bummer...do you know of anyone in the Sacramento area that does that sort of thing.
It would be sad to have to replace my unit because of that...
Thanks very much for the info.

DynamiteHack

Premium Member
Just got the board. Bought it on E-Bay directly from Core Centric, the rebuilder. Any tips on installing it?
How do you access the board? I found the inverter box, where it sounded like the beeping was coming from...

Last edited:

DynamiteHack

Premium Member
Never mind! I found it and swapped it out. Condenser fan is running and there is no beeping!!
I'll let you know how it goes! Sounds pretty normal right now! Thanks!!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, good job.:)

Thats the only Ebay site RepairClinic and I endorse when the part is not longer available as new.

Jake

hscotta

Premium Member
Is it too late to post to this thread? My KitchenAid Model KSCS25FTSS02 Serial SU5026126 is experiencing the same issue. I wanted to run the diagnostics but they appear to for the ice maker only.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If its doing the exact same thing then its the board too.

Your model uses that exact same SERVICE KIT:
W10823804 Electronic Control Board Service Kit

You can also try circuitboardmedics.com Your original board part number is W10219463

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your welcome.

Jake