• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSCS25FKSS00 Ice Maker fill tube keeps freezing and I've tried everything!! Help!

lilescar

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25FKSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I have KitchenAid KSCS25FKSS00 refrigerator. It was not making ice so we defrosted and replaced the inlet valve. It worked for a while, but the fill tube keeps freezing. I've thawed it with a hair dryer and it works for a couple days and freezes up again. I've replaced the water filter in case that was slowing water flow. I've turned freezer temp up to max. What else can I do????

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

I always check customers water pressure before I do anything.

Pull your refrigerator out away from the wall, turn off your water supply line that goes to it, then take off your water supply line from the water inlet valve, then get a bucket, cup, bowl, etc to catch the water, then put your water supply line in the bucket and turn it on, your water stream should be really good with good water pressure, if not then the problem is in your plumbing water supply line, either a bad or clogged shut off valve.

If your water pressure checks good then your water inlet valve in the back of your refrigerator is the problem, that's all it can be.

Here's the replacement water inlet valve for your model
Water Inlet Valve 4318046

Jake

lilescar

Premium Member
Thank you Jake. If I have good pressure coming out of the water dispenser is that an indicator that its okay, or do i have to check it at the valve? If the water pressure is bad is it the shut off valve behind the refrigerator, like its leaking? or its clogged and restricts water flow?

lilescar

Premium Member
If its the valve (which I've already replaced) is it because the valve is allowing water to leak and build up in the tube to freeze?
is there an aftermarket solution like a full tube heater? I've noticed other brands and new models have this part.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You have two water inlet valve solenoids, one for the water dispenser, one for the ice maker.

When the ice maker does work and make ice, all the 8 cube slots in the ice maker should have ice in them.

Since your water inlet valve is new, its likely not the problem. Did you do what I mentioned above to check the water pressure to the refrigerator?

Unfortunately the fill tube heater kit has been discontinued for some time now, and I don't know of any alternatives.

Jake

lilescar

Premium Member
I haven't checked the water pressure yet. I will do that tonight when my husband is home since its a two person job (shut off is in the basement ceiling) Isn't the same water supply line going to the two water inlet valve solenoids? So if my water dispenser pressure is good, then its the same water line just going to a different valve? and two last random questions, why does the tube connected to the water dispenser solenoid run over to a connector on the condenser side before running back and up into water dispenser? does the freezer have its own thermostat...could that be off and therefore too cold, thus freezing the fill tube?

Thank you for your help! I'm thinking I might just have to get used to buying store ice!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Isn't the same water supply line going to the two water inlet valve solenoids?
Yes.

So if my water dispenser pressure is good, then its the same water line just going to a different valve?
Right but, that 2nd solenoid to the ice maker could be weak causing this problem, but again if you already replaced the water inlet valve it should not be bad.

why does the tube connected to the water dispenser solenoid run over to a connector on the condenser side before running back and up into water dispenser?
It goes to the water tank first, which is located inside the refrigerator to chill the water before it comes out the water dispenser.

does the freezer have its own thermostat...could that be off and therefore too cold, thus freezing the fill tube?
No.

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Sounds good, keep us posted.:)

Jake