• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KSCS25FVMS02 Kitchenaid Refrigerator "CLUNK" sound after dispensing water

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBoy2020

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25FVMS02
Brand
KitchenAid
My KSCS25FVMS02 Kitchenaid is making a "CLUNK" sound after dispensing water.

Have tried swapping filters, being sure to get all the air out.

Issue has become worse over the years

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201206-084111_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-084111_Chrome.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 31

WaterBoy2020

Premium Member
With the right side door open (fridge) it appears to me the sound is coming from the back side of the cabinet. Maybe even the lower left side when facing the doors. Does this help?

You also hear the clunk at the end of the ice refill cycle. Meaning, when the ice dispenser opens the water line, you hear the clunk when the dispenser shuts the water flow off again. No idea if the despenser controls this process, just saying for description of the issue. Thanks!

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like water hammer. That's in the water supply line (plumbing). Water hammer is usually caused in high pressure water systems either when a tap is turned off quickly, or by fast-acting solenoid valves, which suddenly stop the water moving through the pipes and sets up a shock wave through the water, causing the pipes to 'shudder' There might be air in the water lines.

WaterBoy2020

Premium Member
Odd, not sure where it would come up now and hasn't existed in the past. It's been slowly getting worse over time.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
It usually happens when there's air in the system. The air can come from the dissolved gasses in the water. Sometimes reducing the water flow to the refrigerator will work or you can try this:
Shut off water supply to the house at the main.
Open all the cold water faucets, start with the highest faucet (2nd floor) and work to your lowest faucet ( basement).
Flush all the toilets in the home.
Let water drain from the open faucets. (Wait about 20 to 30 minutes).
Turn on water supply to the house at the main.
Wait 5 to 10 minutes to let faucets regain a strong flow .
Close all the cold-water faucets starting with the lowest faucet (basement) to the highest faucet (2nd floor).
The toilets will fill automatically. After they all fill, flush each one.

WaterBoy2020

Premium Member
I'll dang sure give it a try! It just went on the short list 👍 Appreciate you taking the time to explain in detail.

WaterBoy2020

Premium Member
Well, this is an old one, but I finally found the issue. After trying lots of suggestions I had thrown in the towel. Then, the solution came out of no where just this week. We order our water filters that fit in the bottom of the fridge from Amazon. We had ordered a multi pack last time around to save money. Well, last week the fridge indicator showed we needed to replace the water filter. I went to reorder the same filters through amazon, luckily for me they were no longer available. After looking on Amazon I found some other filters that seemed would fit the bill. After installing the new filter, I went to dispense water and clean out the new filter and prep it for use. After a few air bleeds through the filter, I could not believe my ears! It turns out the subpar filters we had before where the source of all the problems. We had been using those same filters for quite some time, so the problem simply continued. Once we swapped water filters, the problem is completely gone and the water dispenser sounds as quiet as it did the first day we got the fridge.

I truly hope this helps someone else down the road, this was a real pain in the butt. It was loud dispensing water, but you could also hear it at night while sleeping as ice was being made.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.