• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KSCS25INSS00 w/ frozen fill tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrT

Premium Member
Model Number
KSCS25INSS00
Brand
KitchenAid
I originally was on the board with KA icemaker issues about 1 yr. ago. Replaced optical sensor and module over the course of that experience.

Just before Xmas, the icemaker quit working w/ the fill tube frozen. I ended up replacing the water valve, which I assumed was leaking.

So, here I am, a month later, and the fill tube is freezing up again. Just got about 24-hr of run time before it froze again after defrosting it with the hair dryer.

I don't think there are other unusual circumstances- checked water pressure at a hose bibb and it's 50 psi.

Is replacing the valve again the solution? Pretty sure I can get another one out of the vendor, but it'll be a pain to find the receipt and deal with that.

Thanks!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

mona235

Premium Member
I had the same problem. The cold air intake into the freezer is blowing ice cold air onto the rubber tube. The tech put a piece of duct tape over the right portion of the intake to divert cold air away from the tube. Problem was solved.

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
If the solution to the freezing tube was to cover the air duct with tape, that person is not a tech. The part Jake shows is the correct Whirlpool fix for the problem. The hose must be defrosted and that includes pulling it out of the cavity about 6in and removing the ice that usually freezes around the outside of the tube. If you just defrost it with your hand or a hair dryer, it will continue to fail. Once the tube is free of ice and moisture, the end of the tube needs to be sealed to prevent air from migrating around the outside. I use Whirlpool adhesive, but have heard others using petrolum jelly. Smear it on around the ribbed portion of the black end of the line and slide it back into the cavity. Then seal the line where it exits the rear of the unit. This is a good fix and has worked well for me. The part Jake shows above will absolutly fix it. My two cents.

MadMiles442

Premium Member
No ice out of a KSRK25ILSS03 here-
I have the 2 blinks-pause-2 blinks and have had since it was 2 months old. Never knew what that meant or cared because it's never crapped out until last week, 3 years later.
I downloaded and printed off the Repair Manual.
I attempted to free the fill tube using a food syringe (like you'd inject spices into a turkey with-works great!).
When it was warmer and softening up, I tried to pull the fill tube out as described on page 4-3. The black rubber piece tore in half about 3 inches up in the "roof" of the refrigerator. My tube in the back does not have the slip connection shown in the manual photos and I don't know how to get to it from the back.
How do get into the "roof" cavity to replace the black hose? Would you happen to know what part number that is?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
Well I don't fret because I have done that exact thing trying to get that hose out. The hose runs in a channel inside the roof liner so you will need to push it out the front. Take the rear access panel off the bottom rear of the refer and follow the water line from the upper top to the fill valve. The valve uses a compression fitting to keep it in place and you will need to push in on the water line while holding pressure on the little ring that surrounds it (use your finger nail). Then you should be able to pull it from the valve. With the line removed, push it into the refer cavity (it will take some work) until you can get to the broken end of the black hose. Pull on the hose and it should slide right out from the front. If you are having difficulty getting it out, it is probably frozen and a hair dryer will help. Once it is removed, dry the area and slide the new water tube into the channel from the inside until it pops out the back. Pull the line from the rear until the entire thing has seated back into the channel and then reconnect the water line to the valve. To prevent a frozen line again, get a small tube of silicon (the type used for aquariums) and pull the black hose out enough to apply a bead around the two ribs behind the square part of the hose (just inside the channel). Push the hose back in and then apply some sealant to the area where the hose pops out of the back of the refrigerator. This will prevent air from migrating around the hose within the channel and freezing. Hope this helps.

MadMiles442

Premium Member
.....The valve uses a compression fitting to keep it in place and you will need to push in on the water line while holding pressure on the little ring that surrounds it (use your finger nail). Then you should be able to pull it from the valve.
I'm not really seeing a valve nor fitting. From the connection at the back bottom, there are no fittings/valves I can see. The line just travels from a fitting way down low through a white plastic square in the top back of the refer.

With the line removed, push it into the refer cavity (it will take some work) until you can get to the broken end of the black hose. Pull on the hose and it should slide right out from the front.
Push the line from the back towards the front? How can you fish the vertical tube through the horizontal hole?

If you are having difficulty getting it out, it is probably frozen and a hair dryer will help. Once it is removed, dry the area and slide the new water tube into the channel from the inside until it pops out the back. Pull the line from the rear until the entire thing has seated back into the channel and then reconnect the water line to the valve.
Hmmm. You really lost me here. Now we're pulling the line from the rear? The above describes sliding the hose right out the front. (?) The hole in the white plastic back plate is maybe 1/8', but the rubber hose is 3/8" at least. How does this get through there?
Where do I apply the hair dryer? I see no way to get to the cavity inside the "roof" of the refer to apply the hair dryer.
Thanks again for any help,
Confused,
Miles

TechnicianBrian

Appliance Tech
I'm not really seeing a valve nor fitting. From the connection at the back bottom, there are no fittings/valves I can see. The line just travels from a fitting way down low through a white plastic square in the top back of the refer.
The fitting way down low will either be an in line compression fitting, or a direct connection to your water valve. That one needs to come loose. The white square on the top is the end of the channel and meant to protect the 1/4" hose.

Push the line from the back toward the front? How can you fish the vertical tube through the horizontal hole?
Once the line is free on the back of the refer, push it into the channel toward the front. If you cannot get it to move, that means the front section is still frozen and needs to be thawed. It will slide out quite easily once any ice is gone.

Hmmm. You really lost me here. Now we're pulling the line from the rear? The above describes sliding the hose right out the front. (?) The hole in the white plastic back plate is maybe 1/8', but the rubber hose is 3/8" at least. How does this get through there?
Where do I apply the hair dryer? I see no way to get to the cavity inside the "roof" of the refer to apply the hair dryer.
Thanks again for any help,
Confused,
Miles
You are sliding the whole thing out the front, but must disconnect it from the valve or fitting in the back first. If the tube is frozen (indicated by it not sliding out the front), direct hot air toward the area the black hose comes out of where it is broken off to thaw the ice. You cannot access the channel, only slide the tube through it. It may be easier if you remove the ice maker so you can see better. One 1/4 in screw on the right rear pointed up. Remove it and the cover it holds on, the IM will slide out the front.

MadMiles442

Premium Member
Great explanation Brian,
I think I get it now, thanks.
Do you know where I can get the parts I need to replace the black tube?

Thanks again for you help!

philhyde

Premium Member
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank Brian for posting the information here about un-freezing the water delivery line!

I made the common mistake of turning the water off but not the ice maker. In my case, I was able to dislodge the black tube far enough to massage the ice out of it. Now it's clear, and I'm looking forward to having ice again.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.