• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KSF26C6XYY04 KitchenAid Refrigerator - Not Cooling As Well As It Should

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffW99

Premium Member
Model Number
KSF26C6XYY04
Brand
KitchenAid
I have a KitchenAid KSF26C6XYY04 that is not cooling down all the way to where it is set. Fridge set at 34 and Freezer at 0 - Actual Temps Fridge 45 and Freezer 24.

I'm not the original owner of this fridge as I got it from a neighbor who said it worked fine when it was taken out of his house last week. It is plugged in out in a very warm garage but I have had others out there and never had an issue so I don't think that is the problem.

I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this issue and get this thing performing like it should.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Is the condenser fan motor running? Its located next to the compressor in the very back.

Is the evaporator fan motor in the freezer running?

Is the condenser coil underneath the refrigerator clean and clear of pet hair and lint?

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
Condenser Fan is running and coil is relatively clean as well. I do not hear a fan in the freezer running but do on the refrigerator side. Do you think a bad fan in on the freezer side is the culprit? Would that explain higher temps than desired on the refrigerator side as well?

JeffW99

Premium Member
Update:

Just got the back panel out of the freezer compartment as the moment I got the last 1/4 inch out...the fan kicked on...

What's next?

JeffW99

Premium Member
I have also noticed that the outside of the divider between fridge and freezer (where the doors close) is fairly warm to the touch.

The fan on the freezer side is not running continuously, I just went out to check on it and it wasn't running until I had the door open for a minute or so.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your evaporator fan motor in the freezer is bad, that fan should be running at all times while the compressor is running.

Evaporator(freezer) fan motor for your model:
WP2315549 Evaporator Fan Motor

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks for the info...would this explain all of the issues I'm having or could this just be ONE of the issues?

Jeff

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Oh yes, I forgot you said its in your garage and the freezer is only getting 24 degrees? how hot does it get in your garage?

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
It is probably 80-85 on the hottest days in the garage. I have never had an issue with any other refrigerators working out there, but was wondering if this could be a factor. Also curious if maybe it had a slow Freon leak that could be causing the temps to be higher than desired.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Jeff, under 85 should be fine.

Yes, now the other problem sounds like a sealed system issue since its not getting lower than 24 degrees in the freezer.

Remove the back panel inside the freezer and look at the frost pattern of the evaporator coil.

You can compare them with these photos below, the bottom photo is the normal frost pattern.

Frost Patterns.jpg

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
That was my concern as well...

Here is a photo of the coil when I pulled it off yesterday...with that said later in the day the tubes seemed to have some frost on them but not the fins...

Thoughts? If you think is a sealed system issue, would a top off on Freon help limp this thing along until the end of the year?

Attachments

JeffW99

Premium Member
Upon closer examination...it's really just the top, bottom and tube that run up the side that are frosted up.

My question remains however if you think it's a sealed system issue, would a charge help get me through the end of this year (when we will be moving to a house that a spare fridge won't be necessary) or is that a pipe dream?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its a sealed system problem.

The sealed system consists of the compressor, condenser, evaporator, heat exchanger, filter/drier and refrigerant. Common problems with a sealed system are bad compressors, refrigerant leaks, and system restrictions. Sealed system repair costs will often exceed the machines value.

Yes, you can try and add Refrigerant, R-134a, and see if that helps.

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
Jake,

Thanks, I was afraid of that. If we did add some refrigerant, any idea on how long it may hang in there for me? I know this would be hard to estimate without knowing the severity of the leak...but do you think I could squeeze 6 months out of the thing?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's hard to say Jeff, possibly 6 months.

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
Jake...

I didn't do the re-charge, partly because it just seems silly to prolong a problem but also because when I went out this morning to check on it the coils in the freezer side appeared to have a normal frost pattern.

Two very strange things I also noticed though...at least they seemed strange to me.

1. The fan in the freezer will only run if the fan in the refrigerator is not running and vice versa. They do not seem to work in tandem or only when the compressor is running, does this sound right to you?

2. The outside of the divider between the freezer section and refrigerator section is VERY hot now. Hot enough to when you touch it you instinctively pull your hand away. Any idea why this is happening?

I'm hoping you or someone else will have an epiphany and help me figure out if this one is getting parted out or if it can be brought back from the dead!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The condenser fan motor next to the compressor, should be running at all times while the compressor is running as well.

Pull the refrigerator out from the wall, then remove the lower back access panel and get a flashlight and see if the condenser fan motor is running while the compressor is running.

Here's the condenser fan motor for your model:
Condenser Fan Motor WP2188874

If the condenser fan motor is not running, it will get SUPER HOT between the doors.:)

Jake

JeffW99

Premium Member
It’s running but maybe it’s not running fast enough. It does seem slow. Would this explain the other issues?

JeffW99

Premium Member
Jake, I stuck a desk fan behind it last night and ran it on medium speed and that seemed to do the trick. Water bottle in freezer frozen solid and refrigerator temp holding strong at 38.. Will confirm once the new motor is in later today but it would appear that could have been the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.