• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSRL25FTST00 KitchenAid Refrig If defrost heater gets hot during diagnostic mode - can you assume low side of thermostat is good without ohms test?

RSko

Premium Member
Model Number
KSRL25FTST00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi! Newbie here. Like most other new members I searched the forums looking for answers which brought me here. Issue is the unit is not defrosting.

I've got it narrowed down to the defrost thermostat or the control board (which is discontinued - ugh!). My question: If the defrost heater gets hot during diagnostic mode (while freezer is cold) can I "assume" the low end threshold of the thermostat is good short of taking it all apart again, cutting the thermostat wires and doing the ohms test? I'm not having an issue with the freezer staying cold which tells me the high end limit of the thermostat is working. I believe the refrigerator is not going in to defrost mode at all. Could the issue still be the thermostat? Like I said, the control board is discontinued and I hate to throw another $40 in to fixing it if I can't get a new control board in the long run. Could the problem still be the thermostat even though I confirmed the heater worked via diagnostics while the freezer was below its set point?

Thanks for any help!

Here is my full troubleshooting if you care to read further:

Symptoms/Diagnostics: Noticed evaporator fan was running constantly. Removed rear access panel of freezer and found evaporator coils solid ice (not defrosting). Manually defrosted the coils with blow-dryer and performed diagnostic mode – all functions passed (RC/FC Thermistor test, compressor test and confirmed that the defrost heater got hot). Unit operated normal after manual defrost for a few days. Tried to “manual defrost” by using diagnostic mode defrost heater test and just leaving heater turned on for a while – heater appeared to turn off after a few minutes in test mode (I wasn't sure how long to leave it on). Refridgeator and freezer are staying cold but not as good as after I do a manual defrost.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

RSko

Premium Member
Thank-you for the response. I was hoping you would say it could still be the thermostat lol.....I guess an easy way for a manufacturer to sell more refrigerators is to discontinue making repair parts. :-(

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your refrigerator is a 2006 model, that board has been discontinued for quite a while, usually appliance manufactures only make replacement parts for up to 10 to 15 years.

The average life of all appliances now is only 8-12 years unfortunately, the good old days of 15 to 30 years are long gone, sad but true.

Jake