KSRS25RSMS01 KitchenAid Defrost issue

Noblaze

Premium Member
Model Number
KSRS25RSMS01
Brand
KitchenAid
New here! I've been reading around this site and googling and youtubing but can't seem to find what I need to solve this problem were having.

Early May we went on vacation for ten days. Upon arriving home may 16th, all of the ice in the freezer had melted. We tossed a ton of food.

However, the unit still seemed to function. So we let it sit without food for a day and the insides we're back to cold and water had frozen. Ice maker was making ice as well

The following day, after making a full batch of ice just fine, the ice had partially melted.

I noticed the evaporator was covered in ice, so I unplugged the unit opened the doors and let it manually defrost for 8-10hrs. Also cleaned out the condenser coils as they were dusty.

Plugged it back in and woke up the next morning with an ice bin full of ice and water temp in the fridge of 35 degrees.

We stocked a couple things into the unit thinking all was well

Not so fast.

It seems each night the unit enters defrost mode but it goes too far. During the day this doesn't happen, it's only at night. Ice melts in freezer, so it's getting way to warm for some period of time.

Same thing happened this morning, the ice melted partially and leaked water on the floor.

We bought this house last summer, and during the inspection process the previous owners had an issue with the appliance and paid for the board to be replaced.

We owned a Maytag in our last house where the ice dispenser would jam up in humid weather. We did not experience this issue last summer in this house, but we closed in July so not exactly a full summer to experience this unit in all its Glory.

Back to this morning, when I was inspecting the appliance after noticing the water on the floor from melted ice, the dispenser door was wide open and had no resistance, I could move it freely. I dispensed some ice and it closed fine.

The unit is running fine, and cooling very cold.

I cannot find the technical manual online or hidden in the unit to run any diagnostics or find a defrost timer.

Stumped here, this was built in 2007 so likely at the end of it's life but it runs, it cools, it makes ice....not sure what's happening.

Any advice / insight is appreciated.

Last edited:

Noblaze

Premium Member
The condenser runs hot as well, I know they stay warm but I could probably keep my hand on it for 5-6 seconds before it got too hot.

When I adjust the air temp, at some point it automatically resets to the factory settings.

I put the fridge to 34 degrees shortly before my original post. Between then and now, it reset to 37 degrees.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi,

If the evaporator coil has ICE on it and NOT FROST, that indicates you have an air leak coming into the freezer.

And the cause would be this:
the dispenser door was wide open and had no resistance, I could move it freely.
Sounds like the ice door motor is faulty or the gear in it has broken.

I'm going to post the instructions to access the ice door motor and how to ohm test it.

(Click to enlarge)
106__ice_motor_check.jpg

You can order it here:
WPW10184813 Motor

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Noblaze

Premium Member
Thank you for the details!

Just completed the test.

Reading at pin 2, 3, & 5 was 58.

At pin 6 was 60.

The document indicated it should be between 45-55.

The motor does operate open and shut, but offers little resistance to manual operation and does not automatically close if I manually open it

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, then its bad.

Jake

Noblaze

Premium Member
Just placed the order using the link above. Will install and report back.

Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, yes keep us posted.

Jake

Noblaze

Premium Member
This morning the freezer warmed above freezing temps again and the ice door was closed.

Haven't made the repair yet, but concerning it's bigger issue than that. Will know by this weekend hopefully.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, when it warmed up with the ice door closed was the refrigerator fans and compressor running? Or was everything dead silent?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

That can possibly be due to a faulty control board or faulty freezer thermistor not telling the compressor and fans to come on when they are suppose to.

Here's your parts diagram, your freezer thermistor is #9 here: Parts for KitchenAid KSRS25RSMS01: Air Flow Parts

To test it, you ohm it with a multimeter, you put the sensor in cup of ice water for 5 minutes and it should read about 8.7K ohms +/- 5%.

Here's the freezer thermistor for this model you can order if needed:
WP2188819 Thermistor

There is a HOW TO video when you click the thermistor part link.

If the thermistor ohm tests fine, then the problem is mostly likely in the control board, But It's No Longer Available.

Jake

Noblaze

Premium Member
Alright thanks. Same behavior happened again this morning, so it's frequency is increasing.

The control board was replaced a little over a year ago, and due to poor timing likely out of any warranty by the repair company by all of 2 weeks....but I'll call them regardless.

Could you clarify, after the multimeter has it's ice bath, the thermistor should read 8.7k (8,700) ohms +/- 5%?

And if outside that range, possibly bad?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Could you clarify, after the multimeter has it's ice bath, the thermistor should read 8.7k (8,700) ohms +/- 5%?
You mean after the thermistor has its ice bath, yes then it should read 8.7k (8,700) ohms +/- 5%. :)

Jake

Noblaze

Premium Member
Ha, thanks. Got the test done this am, tested out fine. We purchased a new fridge today since we can't get the board and cost of repair and install wasn't much less than a new fridge. I appreciate your help!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok sounds good.:)

Thanks for the update!

Jake