• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSSC42FMS01 beeps and blinks

asquare

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSC42FMS01
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,
My KitchenAid Built-In Side-by-Side refrigerator KSSC42FMS01 started to beep twice at a ~2 second interval, with the panel blinking at the same frequency. I can also hear a low growl near the top shelf of the fridge side before each double beep. The issue is intermittent -- it stops and comes back for no apparent reason, but the fridge seems to hold its temperature (the issue appeared >24 hours ago).

I saw on other threads that the fix is to change the mother board by sending the defective one to e.g. Circuit Board Medics and it has shown to resolve the issue. This unit was built in January 2005 so I am wondering whether I am better off getting a new unit or whether this big boy still has some life. The repair is ~$200 and a new unit is like 50x that price but sometimes it's just not worth putting money into something that is doomed.

I was wondering about the experience of other forum members about the life expectancy of a KitchenAid Built-In. For further perspective, I have a backup fridge in my garage and I am expecting to stay long enough in my home that I will very likely see the built-in fridge die. Thoughts? Thanks a lot.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, its the main control board.

Its located on top of your refrigerator where you compressor is at.

KitchenAid has a OEM service kit to fix this problem. Its currently out-of-stock. Your refrigerator is a 2004 model, so its your choice if you want to fix it or replace the refrigerator. Usually these Build-in refrigerator should last at least 20 years. Yours is getting close.

Here's the service kit for your model you can order if you want:

I was wondering about the experience of other forum members about the life expectancy of a KitchenAid Built-In.
Yes, lets see what others say, that have these Built-in models.

Jake