• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSSC42QTS00 Giving up after authorized KA rep took a look

Brokelyn

Model Number
KSSC42QTS00
Brand
KitchenAid
(KSSC42QTS00) Ice maker, panel, water dispenser all went downhill steadily and are no longer functional. KitchenAid repair guy charged me $129 to come out and give me a list of parts he'd have to replace at a cost of $1,500 to see if it would work but with the warning that another $2k could be necessary if that first repair didn't take. He checked wiring, voltage, water lines, etc. Now the fridge is emitting a loud hum at all times of day and night. I already had another very reliable repair guy take a look (not authorized KA but someone who has been great at diagnosing and solving other appliance problems) and he couldn't get anywhere.

The device is 12 years old an still cools fine. But it is driving the family nuts. Time to replace. Which one should I look at? This is a built-in and modifying the cabinets is not feasible (we can do trim surround pieces though). I really have an aversion to KitchenAid after seeing how illogically they engineered the product.

Thank you for your insights.

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What parts did he say it needed? $1500 - $3500 seems a little steep unless the compressor is bad and you said it's cooling ok. Do you have a DMM and can you take voltage measurements?