• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSSS42QDW00 KitchenAid Superba 42 Freezing in the refrigerator

agerundajr

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSS42QDW00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hello,

I have a Superba 42 that started having issues on the fridge side. Items on the top shelf in the refrigerator as well as the top shelf of the door started freezing. I turned the dial to lower the temp a bit with no results a few days ago and again yesterday but still no changes. Freezer seems fine, though ice maker has never worked and there has been some frost accumulation around the ice chute inside the freezer door.

Any suggestions as to what troubleshooting I might be able to perform myself?

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks bigbuck!

Your air damper on this model is electronically controlled. You also have a thermistor that controls it, unfortunately, both parts are No Longer Available.

Here's the refrigerator side thermistor for your model:
WP1116959 Thermistor

Here's the air damper for your model:
Damper Control Assembly 2004484

Jake

agerundajr

Premium Member
Hey Jake,

Thanks for the reply. So, after poking around a bit, it seems as if you are correct. The parts you've listed above are not available anywhere. I did find an eBay listing for an owner of the same model fridge that is offering parts for sale upon request. Since it seems as if the seller's intent is to part out the shelves and bins, etc. I figured it might be a bit of a task to ask for the thermistor and damper assembly without knowing where he/she might locate them. Would they be found among the array of parts on top of the fridge? Also, are they part of a larger assembly of interconnected parts? (Thinking it might be easier and more prudent to buy the whole enchilada to keep it simple and have other spares on hand if more malfunctions occur)

Lastly, do you think, from your experience, that the trouble I'm having is for certain these parts you've suggested? Just wondering if there might be other common causes that would be worthwhile to anticipate in the event that the trouble goes beyond the parts you've referenced.

Thanks again for your guidance.

Artie

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok Artie,

I did locate the service manual: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzvgAyLTSh14NXNNYUh3STk4Zmc

Page 4-14 and Page 4-15 Motorized Air Damper Motor access/removal.

Page 4-18 Thermistor access/removal.

Page 5-1 Shows how to ohm test the thermistor.

I haven't worked on this model, you will need to go by what the tech. data sheet and service manual say.

Jake