• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KSSS42QDX05 Kitchenaid Superba 42 unit fan not turning

Jsk97

Premium Member
Model Number
KSSS42QDX05
Brand
KitchenAid
This giant built in won't make ice and lets ice cream get mushy. Those are downstream symptoms of simply not getting cold enough. I get on a chair and pull the top cabinet panel and see the fan way in the back in not turning. I grab a stick like a cave man or the monkey men from 2001 A Space Odyssey and just tap one propeller and the fan comes back to life. I feel a bunch of pent up heat leave the top compartment and it seems to get better but no ice has returned yet. I hit the back fan with some good ol WD-40 like my Granddad would do when he wasn't building Atlas Missiles. It made ice for two days, but now its back to old routine of stalled fan fixed by a stick tap. Any idea what a repair would cost provided its the only issue?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
This is the part you need to replace:

Or you can try this; Take the motor out and carefully drill a 1/8" hole on top the motor cover on the back of the motor. (Careful not to drill through and hit the motor windings.) then use the hole like an "oiler" and use 3-in-1 oil. This usually works for a while Eventually you'll need to replace the motor.
FAN MTR.jpg

Jsk97

Premium Member
Is there a video you can point me to that shows the uninstall and haul-away of a kitchen aid subperba (ideal) or a general/standard built-in for removal? I talked to Jake who talked some sense into me. The built-in lasted 22 years. Its time to replace rather than chase this ticking time bomb with repairs. What's the best way to remove this built-in without messing something up?

rickgburton

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
What's the best way to remove this built-in without messing something up?
Hire someone. If you're going to do it, take everything out of both compartments, shelves, bins crispers. Remove the doors and door hinges. If you leave the hinges on you'll have trouble getting through narrow doors. Then call a couple friends

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I talked to Jake who talked some sense into me.
Wait, I don't remember you mentioning this condenser fan motor stall problem to me, Rick is correct if the fan motor is stalling and not running and it runs when you push the fan blade on it, then all you need to do is replace the condenser fan motor Rick posted the link to above.

No sense in buying a $8,000 new built-in if its just a bad condenser motor you can order for $123 dollars. LOL

Jake

Jsk97

Premium Member
That fan has had a sustained run for a few days and nothing is frozen on the freezer side. I'm going to declare victory at 22 years and swap out the built in with a counter depth model and do some cabinetry adjustments to make it look right. I'm not convinced that replacing with a built in model will get me anywhere near the service life of the previous unit. My research leads me to believe "they don't make 'em like they used to." And my live in, in-law is a carpenter.

Do you have a good uninstall video for a built in? I'm afraid the big box store guys will be out of their range for haul-away. Luckily my kitchen has a double door so as long as I can get it out straight and not kill the hardwood, I hope to be all right. I'll tape down a cardboard path to avoid the scratching.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That fan has had a sustained run for a few days and nothing is frozen on the freezer side.
Ok, got it! Yes, if the compressor is running along with that condenser fan and your not getting any cooling at all, the it's a sealed system problem.

I couldn't find a KitchenAid built-in removal video, just a Sub-Zero one:

I also found a KitchenAid built-in refrigerator video installation guide:

Jake