KTRP21KKWH00 Freezer drain plugs clogs

da324

Premium Member
Model Number
KTRP21KKWH00
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi,
My freezer drain plug clogs every couple of months.The freezer cycles on and off properly and is super cold. The ice maker is disconnected. I know I completely unclog it each time. I test it by pouring water in the drain plug and it flows freely to the pan. The bottom of the drain line does not have a check valve, never has. But since it doesn't have a check valve, it can't get clogged there. It is in the garage, but it gets good air flow all day and I keep it clean. Anyone know why it would keep clogging so quickly?

Thanks for the help!

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Hi,

I know I completely unclog it each time. I test it by pouring water in the drain plug and it flows freely to the pan.
Doesn't have to be clogged to fail....just has to slow the water down enough that it can't run away fast enough and gets frozen.

Have you been flushing out the drain...maybe some compressed air, blowing through a hose.

Insulation in the wall ( rare, but happens ) might be wet causing the drain to freeze up.

LINK> http://www.applianceaid.com/defrost-drain-freezes.php

jeff.

da324

Premium Member
Jeff,

I have not used compressed air for the drain. After I use hot water to clear the drain, water flows to the bottom of the drain line instantly and in a thick stream, so, there doesn't appear to be any type of obstruction. I have been able to run a stiff piece of cloths hanger about 2 feet long into the drain. It goes in easy with no force. I'll try compressed air next time and see if anything comes out of the tube. Thanks for the reply.

Don.

Dan O.

Appliance Tech
Staff member
How cold is "super cold"?

The freezer cycles on and off properly and is super cold.
The freezer being "super cold" could also contribute to freezing drains if the draining of defrost water is slowed at all. A freezer should only need to be down to -5°F if you are using an icemaker. 0 to +2°F is recommend otherwise.

JMO

Dan O.

jeff1

Appliance Tech - Moderator
Staff member
Let us know what happens.

jeff.