• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KUDC10FXSS1 KitchenAid Dishwasher Noise - Pump Replaced....but still loud grinding noise

ACW3

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDC10FXSS1
Brand
KitchenAid
New to the forum and grateful to find it based on what I've been reading. I have a KitchenAid Dishwasher that starting making humming noise that progressively got louder. After doing some research I cleaned out the chopper blade area but the noise continued....replaced the circulation pump....and now I have a very loud grinding noise and the dishes are not cleaning. I'm wondering if the plastic gear part of the chopper assembly might be stripped some and not fully engaging with the motor/pump...I need some help or advise please. Hopefully you can hear the video

Last edited:

ACW3

Premium Member
It wasn't this loud before....just a loud buzzing noise. Bought pump from Genuine Replacment Parts out of Florida. Looks to be an original Whirlpool product.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Its easy to find out if its the new wash(circulation) motor you got is making that noise, or the chopper screen assembly is making that noise.

Just go back in it and remove the chopper screen assembly, then start the dishwasher and see if that noise is still present or not.:)

If not, then your chopper screen assembly is bad.

Here's the chopper screen assembly for your model:
Food Chopper Assembly W10083957V

Here's the wash(circulation) motor assembly for your model:
WPW10757217 Circulation Motor

Jake

ACW3

Premium Member
Thanks SO much Jake! I did exactly as you instructed and the chopper assembly is the problem! Really appreciate the great info, the links and your support of those of us who are DIYers. Have a great one!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help.:)

Jake

BrianCanada

Premium Member
Good Day,

I wasn't sure if I should start my own post so if it should be a new one just let me know.

This post is exactly what our KitchenAid KUDS30IXSS1 dishwasher is doing. The dishwasher is about 10 years old and started making a louder than usual noise yesterday and sounded like the chopper was making more noise than usual. Followed the recommendation by Jake in this post and removed the chopper screen assembly and ran the dishwasher. The louder noise was now gone. When the chopper was removed I could reach my finger in and spin the shaft freely. I replaced the chopper about six months ago because when I opened it up at the time, it was covered in food and not clean. And at the time, our upper level of dishes were not getting clean so I think the dirty chopper was preventing proper circulation.

When I checked the removed chopper yesterday, it seemed fine in that it wasn't broken, turned fine, and no plastic tips broken off the chopper or shaft, as far as I could tell. As mentioned above I could also turn the shaft freely. When I hacked, so to speak, the latch and turned the dishwasher on without the chopper installed, I could see that the dishwasher was spraying fine. And, if I cancel/drain it drains fine.

I was wondering if someone might know what else might be wrong? Can I run the dishwasher without the chopper installed? Could it be the impeller? Or, is there a way to check if it is the circulation pump? That being said, I'm not replacing the circulation pump as it is about $300.

Thanks for all the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Hi Brian, As long as the chopper screen assembly isn't broke it should be fine.

You may NOT have the chopper screen assembly positioned correctly onto the motor impeller coupling, or the motor impeller coupling is worn out. The only way to tell is to remove the chopper screen assembly and see if the motor impeller coupling that it mounts onto has worn out, or if the chopper screen assembly is NOT positioned correctly onto the motor impeller coupling.

Look at this photo below, see the white piece that connects to the motor impeller coupling, if it doesn't mesh with the coupling on the motor like its too short, then you'll have to replace the motor impeller or the motor itself.

KADishwasherpump4.jpg

But after years of being on the motor shaft they can be a nightmare to replace, IF the original one doesn't come off easy, I had to break a few off myself to replace it.

Here's the impeller kit for your model(See the clear coupling on the motor impeller, if that doesn't mesh properly with the white piece on the chopper screen assembly that will cause the chopper blade not to turn):
8193951A Impeller

Video to access/change it is included in the part link.

A new motor will come with the motor impeller already installed onto the motor.

Here's the motor for your model:
WPW10757217 Circulation Motor

Video to access/change it is included in the part link.

Jake

BrianCanada

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I'm fairly sure the chopper assembly is positioned correctly onto the impeller but will check again. And the white coupler on the back of my chopper looks fine. My impeller shaft coupler is black in colour and not a clear coupler as you show in the impeller replacement part, but I'm thinking that might be a change over the years. I did take a macro picture with my cell phone and the impeller coupler teeth looked fine but maybe I'm missing that clear coupler piece if it is supposed to be there?

Wondering why would the noise go away when I run the dishwasher without the chopper?
Can the dishwasher be used without the chopper? We don't leave food scraps, so to speak, on the dishes when they go into the dishwasher.

Thanks for the help.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
I did take a macro picture with my cell phone and the impeller coupler teeth looked fine but maybe I'm missing that clear coupler piece if it is supposed to be there?
I've never seen a clear one, its always been black on all the ones I've done.

Wondering why would the noise go away when I run the dishwasher without the chopper?
Can the dishwasher be used without the chopper?
Its probably because the impeller is partially stripped.

No, the dishwasher can not be used without the chopper screen assembly.

Jake