• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KUDC10FXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher does not clean top rack

sanjos10

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDC10FXSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
My 7 year old Kitchenaid Dishwasher does not clean the top rack. Bottom rack cleaning is good. Earlier this year I changed the impeller that was stripped. I checked it last night and it was fine with "teeth" still in place. I also had replaced the chopper. Yesterday when I opened it, the chopper was dirty again so I cleaned it and the surroundings of all the debris and put in another load. Cleaned all other parts and ensured no blockage. Loaded dishes and let it run. Top rack cleaning was very bad. Bottom rack was good.

Do you think it is an issue with the Circulation Motor? Maybe that is not causing the chopper to run at all. How do I check if the motor works?

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
If the circulation(wash) motor was bad the lower rack would be dirty as well.

I'd first check the water feed tube that runs up to the 2nd rack to make sure that is not clogged.

Here it is for your model:
Tube-Feed

Jake

sanjos10

Premium Member
Jake, thanks for your reply.
I had also cleaned the tubefeed. The white spinner was dirty and clogged so I opened and cleaned that. The load I did was after cleaning it and the top rack was still dirty.

How can I check if the motor actually is running? Maybe the chopper connection is fine but the motor is not spinning?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to put a waterproof camera in there set on VIDEO MODE.

OR you can remove the motor assembly and see if the impeller is stripped from the motor shaft.

Here's the motor assembly for your model:
WPW10757217 Circulation Motor

Jake

sanjos10

Premium Member
I think the mistake was on my end. Some weeks ago, I bought long saute spoons and would put those in the spoon section. What I didn't realize is that they obstructed the spinner connected to the top rack. This meant that only some utensils in the top rack got cleaned, others did not. I stopped doing this and the spinner has a free run and the cleaning is much better.

I want to sell this 7 year old DW and buy a Bosch. Are the 800 series Bosch DWs good?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent, glad that was all that was wrong.(y)

Are the 800 series Bosch DWs good?
I don't have any training on Bosch appliances, so I can't tell you if they are reliable or not.

You can look in our Bosch Dishwasher forum:
The main problem for them has been the E24 and E25 issues.

Jake