• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

FIXED KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher Fills but then Shuts off

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy91

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDE60HXSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
When I start a cycle for my KitchenAid dishwasher model KUDE60HXSS5, it will fill with water, the motor will start and run for a few minutes and then the motor shuts down and the clean LED on the front of the panel flashes blue continuously. I open the door and water is standing in the bottom. If I hit the cancel/drain button, the water will drain out of the unit. If I try to resume operation, the unit will make some sounds as if it is trying to start but will not and then the clean LED again begins flashing blue. The problem occurs regardless of any cycle I choose on the unit. All buttons on the touchpad operate. I have unplugged the unit for several minutes, plugged back in and rerun with no change in results. I have let the unit run through diagnostics by pressing start/resume and then pressing three buttons in 123 123 123 format in rapid succession and closing the door. No change to the unit performance after running the diagnostics. Can you offer suggestions on what the problem is or what next steps I should take? Thanks.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was traveling all last week.

So I did as you suggested, disconnecting the wire harness from the wash motor and putting my multimeter leads across it. I started the wash cycle, waited for the water to fill and I did not get 120 volts across the wires. I would get a variable reading across the leads, but generally 10 volts or less. Can you suggest what I should try next? Thanks.

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

So after I did the electrical test, I have re run diagnostics and have received error codes 9-1 Diverter can't find position, 6-2 Fill Valve Electrical problem, 9-2 Diverter stuck on and 6-4 Float switch open. Tried to run a one hour cycle after this and unit did not fill with water. Re ran diagnostics again and received code 9-1 and code 6-6 cool water. The water had been pre heated prior to starting the cycle. I tried to run through another one hour cycle and this time the unit filled with water. The unit was running through it's cycle and I noticed that during the wash cycle, all of the LED's on the control panel would shut off for one or two seconds before resuming the clean cycle. During this momentary shutdown, the motor was also off. Eventually, the cycle stopped with flashing blue LED's on the control panel. Re ran diagnostics again and received code 6-4. I also cannot get the unit to run through the service diagnostics cycle after clearing the error codes during diagnostics. The unit simply beeps and then shuts off completely.

I am not sure what all of this means but am thinking that with such erratic behavior, that I should probably consider replacing the control panel. What are your thoughts?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The problem is your control board.

I Checked your owners manual warranty, you have a 5 year warranty on that control board. Contact KichenAid to send you one.

1 (800) 422-1230
Hours of Operation
Mon-Fri: 8 a.m.—8 p.m. EST

Here's the control board for your model:
W10813313 Cntrl-Elec

Jake

jimmy91

Premium Member
Thanks Jake. I will contact KitchenAid. I appreciate your help and will you know how it goes with them.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good, please do let us know how it goes.:)

Jake

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I received and installed the new control board today. Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem. I started to run a one hour wash cycle, the drain cycle worked, the tub filled with water and then I got blue flashing Start/Resume and Washing LED's. Ran diagnostics and received error code 6-4 Float Switch Open. Repeated wash and diagnostics cycle with the same results. Float appears to move freely, dishwasher is level, no suds in the tub, opening the door stops the water from filling. Float switch has continuity. Didn't take the door back off to do any electrical checks on the control board circuits. While I was writing this, I ran a third one hour wash cycle that went probably half way through the cycle before again flashing LED's. This time the error code was 9-2 diverter stuck on. Didn't do any checks yet on the diverter. What are your thoughts as to what to try next? Diverter valve? Water inlet valve? Thanks.

jimmy91

Premium Member
I also ran another couple of cycles this morning before heading off to work. I did notice that if I pick a longer regular cycle like normal wash, the machine runs longer before failing than if I choose the one hour cycle. Diagnostics both times this morning showed error code 6-4. Any guidance on where to head now is appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok,

Anytime you replace a part on these new dishwashers you always have to run the SERVICE DIAGNOSTICS CYCLE, and let it run all the way through to reset it back to default.

Entry sequence: Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses. NOTE: Some models have replaced the “Clean” LED with “Completed.”
The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

LET IT RUN ALL THE WAY THROUGH: Service diagnostic cycle will take about 23 minutes.

Do that now, and report back.:)

Jake

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I had tried this before. The unit doesn't finish the diagnostics cycle. Here is what I get:

Interval 27 All LED's lit
Interval 26 All LED's off
Interval 25, 24, 23, 22 Solid green clean LED, no errors, varying other blue LED's are on through this part of the cycle
Interval 21 Hi Temp and Normal Wash LED's flash blue, Start LED solid blue
Interval 20 Hi Temp, 1 Hr Wash and Start LED's solid blue, unit sounds like it's draining, runs a couple of seconds
Interval 19 Hi Temp, Normal Wash and Start LED's solid blue, for several seconds, sound like a switch is kicked on inside the unit, LED's shut off and the diagnostics stops.

Pulled the plug for 2 minutes and ran again with the same results. I've tried this probably a half dozen or more times with the same results.

Not sure where to go next. Thanks for your advice.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That's very strange.

KitchenAid sent you this board? Did the box it came in looked good? Not double taped?

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Try this:

Interval 20 is a 10 second pause. The Hi-Temp LED will be on. Press the Hi-Temp key to clear the error codes. The Hi-Temp LED will blink twice to indicate the errors have been cleared.

Jake

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

There are no error codes. The four error codes prior to the system diagnostics were solid green clean LED's meaning no errors. I did the routine where I pushed the HI TEMP flashing LED with no difference in performance. I did not get the control board from KitchenAid, I ordered online. KitchenAid customer service would not supply the control board without having a service call. I will not buy a Whirlpool product again based on their customer service. The box was double taped, the unit did look like one that had been returned from someone. Will obviously return since it has not corrected the problem. However, this control board and the original one behaved similarly so not sure if the control board is still the issue. I will contact the company I ordered the control board from, return the one they sent me and see if I can get an unused one.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
The box was double taped, the unit did look like one that had been returned from someone. Will obviously return since it has not corrected the problem. However, this control board and the original one behaved similarly so not sure if the control board is still the issue. I will contact the company I ordered the control board from, return the one they sent me and see if I can get an unused one.
Yup, that's what I thought, because a new control board would've fixed it.:)

KitchenAid customer service would not supply the control board without having a service call.
That's very odd, a few members here got KitchenAid to send it to them free of charge without sending a tech. out. I'd call them back and try again, you will get a different customer service person.

Jake

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

I will call them again. When I called, they indicated that most warranted parts they would ship direct but not the control board. I didn't argue too rigorously, but will be a bit more assertive next time since others have had success getting this part supplied under warranty. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the help.

bigbuck

Appliance Tech
Staff member
May want to look at this part:
WPW10469574 Vent

Connections or corrosion on the terminals or plug as some of these codes can be false codes on these things. Maybe disconnect it can see if it completes the cycle. It can power down the DC circuit if bad or corrosion is there. Just throwing this out there. Good luck. Also look for wetness on the plug or harness there too.

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Glad to help Jimmy, let us know how it goes.

Thanks bigbuck for adding that as well.

Jake

jimmy91

Premium Member
Hi Jake,

So I removed the control board I ordered and replaced it with the original board that came with the dishwasher. I ran diagnostics and got the same result as I did with the board I ordered. Did as bigbuck suggested and disconnected the vent wire harness. Reran diagnostics and the unit ran through service diagnostics. Can't guarantee ithe dishwasher went through the complete cycle, but it certainly ran significantly longer than it had previously. Decided to leave the vent harness disconnected and ran a one hour wash cycle. The machine ran the complete cycle with no issue and flashed the green clean LED at the end. Does not appear to be any moisture or corrosion on the vent wire connection. So is it time to replace the vent?

Status
Not open for further replies.