• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KUDE60HXSS5 KitchenAid Dishwasher - Not Getting the Dishes Clean - Door Panel Removal?

seb5280

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDE60HXSS5
Brand
KitchenAid
I've got a Kitchen Aid KUDE60HXSS5 that just isn't getting dishes clean. The Pro Dry drying fan isn't coming on either. It isn't drying the dishes at all either so it seems the heater element isn't coming for for some reason.

From what I can tell it's either:
1. Bad heating element
2. Bad high limit thermostat
3. The drying vent fan (in the door) being bad and causing something a system fail.
4. Control Panel
5. Maybe a turbidity sensor, but since there isn't any 'steam' when opening the machine and the fan isn't coming on, that's likely not the root cause.

The problem is I can't figure out how to get the door panel off of this thing. It's easy enough to get all of Hex screws out, but the latch seems to be built into the door panel. I'm leery of breaking the door latch as it seems like a real PITA to replace.

New dishwashers are expensive these days. Anyone have any good tips on how to get the panel off so I can get to/test/replace the drying fan?

Also, I tried the 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3 then closing the door but nothing happens. Does that apply as a diagnostic code on this model?

Thanks in advance,
sb

seb5280

Premium Member
So just an update. I was able to get it to run diags by doing a 3-2-1 (from right to left)...weird but...

After the diagnostics I got no LED light on the front, so I pushed 3-2-1 (3x) and it gave me a 7-1 code. Looking at the Error Code table gives these:

Cause 1a No Heat:

Control is programmed to disable heater, but continue running cycles if it detects a water heating problem.

What to Check:

Running diagnostics clears the control, allows the heater to turn on again. Water heating problem must be corrected, or the control will disable the heater again. See heater circuit problem below.

Cause 1b No Heat:

Heater Circuit problem:
■ Open in heater.
■ Open connection or component in Heater Circuit.

What to Check:

1. Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power.
2. Measure resistance of heater and all components and connections in Water Heating Circuit/Heat Dry Circuit. Fix/ replace open connection/part.

Cause 1c No Heat:

Faulty Heater Drive Circuit on the control.

What to Check:
Unplug dishwasher or disconnect power and replace control.

So I checked resistance on the heater element and got about 17ohms. However I did make sure the connectors are seated well. Hopefully it was just a bad connection - I did replace the lower assembly several months ago but am pretty sure the heater was working right after that.

I went ahead and ordered a new heater element. Just in case. Also ordered a high limit thermostat but don't see any good way to get to that sucker. There is a big piece of metal frame behind it.

Just hoping it't not the control board as I can't get the dang door panel off.

If anyone has anything else they recommend checking I'd be happy to hear it.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Your heating element is fine at 17 ohms.

Your model has the problem door vent that would also cause this problem. So before you replace the door latch switch Do this first--->Disconnect all the wire connectors to your door vent and see if it runs through a complete cycle.

Start reading what bigbuck said at post#18 here:

Your model uses the exact same door vent. If it runs through a complete cycle and everything is back to normal, then order and replace the door vent assembly.

Here it is for your model you can order:
WPW10469574 Vent

To access the vent assembly you will need a T-15 torx screwdriver: Remove 4 screws (long) across top of door, then remove 10 screws (short) on the sides, then the outer door panel pulls off.

Let us know what you find.

Jake

seb5280

Premium Member
Thanks. I still can't get the door panel off. I took off all of the Torx screws (handy when working on my Jeep) and computers. Took off the phillips, still no luck. The integrated handle on this model really makes it hard to get off.

So we said hell with it and just bought an new Dishwasher. I've fixed this one a couple of times over the last 7 years. It's starting to get a little smelly. Gotta get the dishes done. This will keep my wife happy too.

Will let my BIL have this broken one as a fix up project - he has a rental place that he can put it in if he wants it down the road. If he can't fix it, he can scrap it. I'm pretty sure it's probably that fan that isn't blowing. New model doesn't have that extra moving part to worry about.

FYI, we got a Maytag (same parent company as KA obviously). I checked out the underside of it really well while installing it. They did a good job on the new design. There is a drip pan and a float sensor to warn of leaks and the overall 'system' seems simplified.

Thanks for the advice. I just couldn't get that damn door panel off. My BIL doesn't have patience. Maybe the dang thing just needs a hard yank...I dunno.