FIXED KUDS01ILBS6 Clean light blinking 7 times

shumatec

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS01ILBS6
Brand
KitchenAid
My Kitchenaid KUDS series dishwasher started the blink of death overnight last week during a normal nightly wash. I pulled out the heating element and it tested OK for continuity so I put it back in. I ran the diagnostic test but, not knowingly what I was looking for, the test seemed to run and finish doing whatever it did. To see if the dishwasher was working I ran a Quick Clean cycle and it completed as expected with a hot, steamy inside at the end. So I tried running a Normal cycle but that one failed. I reset the board and tried the Light/China cycle and THAT one was successful, too. I haven't yet tried the Pot Scrubber mode but it definitely seems like the Normal cycle is the one with an issue.

What might cause something like that?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Read my post #3 and clean out your sump basin and chopper screen assembly first per that video I posted, because the water pressure must be great enough to pass over the heating element continually to increase the water temperature to prevent the Clean light blinking 7 times error code.

Jake

shumatec

Premium Member
Thanks, Jake, I had already done that. It's clean down there, no food particles. Yesterday I ran through all the wash modes and the only one that failed was the 'Normal' mode but last night I ran the 'Light/China' mode and woke up this morning to it blinking 7 times again and I could tell it quit somewhere mid-cycle. Is there something else that could cause this?

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, I moved your posts to a new thread. I need the complete model number of your dishwasher first before we continue.

The model number tag is located inside the door on the tub frame.

Jake

shumatec

Premium Member
KUDS01ILBS6

I just ran through the 'Normal' cycle this morning and it completed successfully, so it seems erratic in that there is no guaranteed way to make it fail.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Thanks!

Ok, if the heating element ohms good, and your sump/chopper screen is clean and clear, then the only part left is the control board that would cause this problem.

Here's the control board for your model you can order:
Main Control Board WP8564543

Jake

shumatec

Premium Member
Jake, thank you for your assistance. With a dishwasher this old does it make sense to replace this fairly expensive part or use the money toward a new machine entirely? I have heard, anecdotally, that the older machines do a better job with cleaning because they aren't Energy Star qualified so they use more electricity and more water and hence do a better job of cleaning dishes.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
With a dishwasher this old does it make sense to replace this fairly expensive part or use the money toward a new machine entirely?
It depends how much you use the dishwasher, if its going everyday then its best to save your repair money for a new dishwasher.

If you only use the dishwasher a couple times a week, then repair it.

If you get a new dishwasher I'd get Maytag, their wash motors are build much stronger than others.

I own a Maytag dishwasher I bought in 2014 when I moved to Arizona from Oregon, works like a champ, dishes and glasses clean as a whistle everytime I run loads.:)

Mine is this one: MAYTAG MDB8949SBW3 JETCLEAN® PLUS DISHWASHER WITH TOUGHSCRUB™ OPTION

Maytag Dishwasher MDB8949SBW3 Repair Parts

Jake

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, sounds good.:)

Glad to help!

Jake

shumatec

Premium Member
I decided to replace the control board instead of buying a new machine. Just wanted to let you know that it works! Strange to me that the old control board would work about 30% of the time, but that's what it did. The new board seems to have fixed the problems and has worked flawlessly. I appreciate your expertise and advice, Jake. Thank you.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Excellent shumatec, glad to hear the new control board fixed it.:)

Thanks for the update! I'm marking your thread FIXED.:)

Jake