• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KUDS25SHWH1 new pump and motor, lower spray arm binding (frustrated)

t126b

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS25SHWH1
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi everyone ... this is my first post. After I replaced the motor and pump assembly on my KitchenAid Superba Whisper Quiet Ultima Dishwasher model KUDS25SHWH1 that stopped the leak, but I finally noticed the bottom spray arm is striking the bottom of the lower rack. In fact, I don't think the spray arm is rotating! I say finally because it was months <sigh> after I did the ($300) replacement that I noticed the arm was not free to rotate ... so I cannot get the part replaced under warranty.

Does anyone have a suggestion about anything I can adjust to allow the lower spray arm to rotate?

The weird thing is ... The motor and pump assembly fit perfectly in the dishwasher! There is a drop in fit with tabs to rotate to keep the motor in place plus all the connections are all as expected, power and water. The only difference between the old and new assemblies is the new one has no need of a counterweight. I cannot figure out how the new assembly could be mounted too high because it is secure and not leaking. The course filter around the assembly looks to be sitting in the proper position too!

I (more than) double checked the part number and it was right. Yet, the lower spray arm is too high; it is frustrating.

Here are photos of the installed motor and pump assembly and the obvious damage to the spray arm.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG-1878-20.jpg
    IMG-1878-20.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG-1877-20.jpg
    IMG-1877-20.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG-1875-20.jpg
    IMG-1875-20.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 115

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
That looks like the wrong motor/pump assembly for your model or a aftermarket one. What is the part number you ordered for it? Where did you get it at?

The OEM motor/pump assembly is $500 US Dollars:
Pump and Motor Assembly W10428168

Jake

t126b

Premium Member
That looks like the wrong motor/pump assembly for your model or a aftermarket one. What is the part number you ordered for it? Where did you get it at?

The OEM motor/pump assembly is $500 US Dollars:
Pump and Motor Assembly W10428168

Jake
Thank you for the fast reply Jake!!

I am in Canada and I got the replacement assembly from EasyApplianceParts.ca ... the part listing is still present on their site (here is the link) ...
https://www.easyapplianceparts.ca/P...4&SearchTerm=KUDS25SHWH1&ModelNum=KUDS25SHWH1
When I ordered the assembly in August of 2016 it was $306.25 Canadian.

Immediately below is a screenshot from that page. I have highlighted the model number of my dishwasher. The Whirlpool part number matches the number in the listing you kindly sent me.
Page at Easyapplianceparts.PNG

Everything looked right with the replacement assembly, except for the missing counterweight screw hole. All the connections lined up, and the locking tabs rotated into place.

It took about two years to notice the damage to the spray arm hub and to finally discover the arm was striking and binding on the bottom of the plates on the lower rack. I looked into it when I noticed that dishes on the lower rack were not as clean as those on the upper rack. I tried to spin the lower spray arm with the rack in place and saw the problem right away. I asked EasyApplianceParts.ca if I had any options with them, I do not. :( I've been trying to puzzle out how to fix it ever since. For now we've been rinsing the lower rack dishes before put them in the machine.

I just looked at PartSelect.ca and got the same model number, except for the seller initials, of "3500989" (link) ...
https://www.partselect.ca/PS3500989...DS25SHWH1&ModelNum=KUDS25SHWH1&ModelID=683627

Screenshot ...

Page at Partselect canada.PNG

If it is the wrong, or out of spec, part ... any ideas what I can do? Should I try removing, inspecting, and re-seating the whole assembly?

I can't find any measurements to tell me how tall the pump outlet should be on it's own (to see if it is too tall).

Alternative? Is there any way to lift the bottom rack about half an inch? Larger wheels?

Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated!

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
You will need to contact them and see why your new one came different.

Measure your original one with the new one for height, if it's the same, then there is something you did wrong in the installation, then you need to redo the installation of it.

Jake