• Please note, some of the links on our site are affiliate links (Learn More)

KUDS30FXSS1 KitchenAid Dishwasher - Leaking front right

td234

Premium Member
Model Number
KUDS30FXSS1
Brand
KitchenAid
Hi

My dw is leaking from the front right. it’s a small leak that puddles on the floor. I ran it with the front skirt removed and it seems to be coming from a white plastic float switch on the right side in the front.
First, I read that this could be a over soap issue. I ran without soap and there are suds, so this makes sense. How do I clean this out? Where would the soap be collection?
Second, I found a couple of small broken plastic pieces in the tub. They look like they are from underneath the float. I was wondering if they are maybe letting the float not sit correctly.
Is it worth replacing the float switch assembly? Do they wear out? Does it sound like a soap issue?
Thanks

Last edited:

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Run a few cycles with no dishes or silverware in it to flush the soap out.

If it still leaks its possibly the float gasket.

Here's the float gasket for your model:
WP8531743 Gasket

The is a video in the float gasket part link to replace the float gasket, and it also shows you how to remove the float to see if its broken underneath it. Now the video tells you remove the entire dishwasher, which I never do when I do this job. I just remove the outer door panel to get more room under there. To remove the door panel just remove all the torx screws inside the door, then the outer door panel lifts up and out.

Here's the float for your model:
Float WPW10195036

Let us know what you find.

Jake

Shaz

Premium Member
I have the exact same scenario. I can see the water and suds coming down the float shaft while the DW is running. I have replaced the float, housing and switch. The float gasket is fine and its totally dry around the area the gasket meets the bottom of the DW body.
This had been going for some time evidently (dried scale on the floor below the switch) and eventually the float / switch mechanism got so scaled up from dried soap, the float action malfunctioned and I had an overfill situation. That's what prompted me to replace the parts.
We typically do not use excessive soap or we use the premeasured packets.
Is that still too much soap?
I have not tried running it with no soap but will do that next.
The kitchenaid site suggested running it with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil added to the bottom and no soap. Really? That's a thing?
Also, I checked the unit for level and plumb and that's fine.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Yes, your using too much detergent.

Run the dishwasher through a few cycles with NO DISHES in it to clear out all the suds.

I've never heard of cooking oil being used, show me where it said that.

Jake

Shaz

Premium Member
Jake,

Here's the site that suggested cooking oil - producthelp.kitchenaid.com

I ran the DW as you suggested and voila, no dripping after the second run. I did a third just to be sure, still dry as a bone.
Next load we used a single Cascade Platinum +Oxi Actionpac. I am hopeful the premeasured packet is the solution.
No dice! Back to sudsy water coming down the float stem and dripping from the bottom of the float stem into the white housing. It's easy to see if i carefully open the housing doors while its running.
Its enough dripping to saturate a piece of paper towel folded into a quarter size pad on the floor below the float housing.
No moisture around the gasket between the housing and the tub. Gasket is fine. Float, housing and switch are new.
Very strange!!
Is there something that works with the float to control water level that could be outa whack? Pressure is pretty standard, 50 PSI in the basement, probably 40 at the DW, all new supply lines in the house.
Any other ideas?
Actual model number is KUDC 10FX SS4
Much appreciated.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Does use +Oxi, just use the Cascade Regular pod.

The suds are likely coming up underneath the float and dripping down the float stem tube to your floor.

Jake

Shaz

Premium Member
Yes, that's what's happening.

We will skip the +oxi and try again.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Ok, glad to help.:)

Jake

Shaz

Premium Member
Hey Jake!

Back at this finally. Not that we haven't been keeping our dishes clean.
So we have run the DW using Cascade Regular pod several times.
The dripping from the bottom of the float stem continues.
It is definitely not as much and there are no soap bubbles coming through; however, I find it hard to believe its expected.
It is enough dripping that a sheet of paper towel catching the drips gets fairly saturated.
Not sure what's next since I have replaced all the parts.

Anything else you can think of?

I also have a great local appliance repair crew I have used (not a big box outfit) and I plan to ask them.

Shaz

Jake

Appliance Tech - Admin
Staff member
Nope Shaz, that's all I can suggest.

You will need that local appliance crew to come out and see what's going on.

Jake